Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Mac freeze/crash, any ideas? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   strepidus (old) Icon

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:49 AM

I have an iMac 2.8GHz w/ a Radeon 2600pro, and playing sometimes while playing UT the game will freeze, with the sounds looping over and over. Seems to occur at random. I can't force quit the app, so I have to shut down the computer and restart when it occurs. This happens in both fullscreen mode and windowed mode, though it seems to be less frequent in windowed mode. When the crash occurred in windowed mode, it froze the entire computer, so that the menu bar clock was no longer moving, etc. This happened to me 4-5 times while running 10.5, and once since I've upgraded to 10.6. I think I saw a thread describing a similar problem earlier, and it may be a problem with the ATi Radeon card.

Anyone else run into this, and if so, any ideas?

#2 User is offline   Nigel Icon

• Account: nigel

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:19 AM

Mac support is shaky at best for Urban Terror.

Try it on a FRESH UrT install..
meaning 100% default maps, configs, settings, etc.

#3 User is offline   Hoody Icon

• Account: hoody
  • Main tag: pnk|

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:14 AM

View PostNigel!, on 12 October 2009 - 03:19 AM, said:

Mac support is shaky at best for Urban Terror.

Try it on a FRESH UrT install..
meaning 100% default maps, configs, settings, etc.

I have some shit to add, I was one of the people moaning about this a while back. I'm still on the same 2.4ghz iMac with your GFX card. I solved the problem like this: I dropped from 1920-1200 resolution to 1200-1024 (or whatever that one is). It is definitely the GFX card that is messing up. I know this because I switched over to playing UrT on Windows in bootcamp (whatever people say, this is the best option for imac users in my opinion, miles better), and I got the exact same freeze with looped audio when playing in 1600-1200. It would happen once a day, sometimes 5 times a day, and sometimes not at all for a week. I dropped the reso and detail, and smooth 125 with very rare freezes.

There you go man.

#4 User is offline   Ultradie Icon

• Account: ultradie

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

Yea, just try dropping the resolution, it worked for me when I had that problem constantly. If your using a custom res, try using an r_mode that is closest to the custom resolution. Or if it is happening on a regular rmode, then try a lower mode.

#5 User is offline   strepidus (old) Icon

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

View PostHoody, on 12 October 2009 - 07:14 AM, said:

I have some shit to add...I dropped the reso and detail, and smooth 125 with very rare freezes.

There you go man.

Hoody, thanks for the advice. I usually get 125fps at 1920x1200 and it looks pretty damn nice, but I'll try turning down the detail and the res and see what happens.

#6 User is offline   Killar Icon

• Account: killar
  • Main tag: {C9}

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

Another thing you might want to try is raising your fan speeds, I find that this stops it from doing that. its only done it like once in a month.

#7 User is offline   strepidus Icon

• Account: strepidus

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:29 AM

View PostKillar, on 17 April 2010 - 12:08 AM, said:

Another thing you might want to try is raising your fan speeds, I find that this stops it from doing that. its only done it like once in a month.

LOL, thanks for resurrecting this topic after 6 months. The freezes did decrease when I switched to 1280x800, and they then decreased some more after I started playing mostly TS and Bomb instead of TDM or CTF. Still happens about once a month though, so I guess I'll try the fan speed next :-)

#8 User is offline   Ateamrocks Icon

• Account: ateamrocks

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

Oh screwy. Didnt see you did all the stuff i had originally posted. >.<

Fan speed is a thing to try, or trying the Optimized build. The reason i suggest this is it has some graphics adjustments, and the build is a newer one for newer macs.

Gl, results here please ;)

b1

This post has been edited by Ateamrocks: 18 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

B1naryTh1ef
:3

#9 User is offline   strepidus Icon

• Account: strepidus

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

View PostAteamrocks, on 18 April 2010 - 08:43 AM, said:

Fan speed is a thing to try, or trying the Optimized build. The reason i suggest this is it has some graphics adjustments, and the build is a newer one for newer macs.

Gl, results here please ;)

b1

The freeze/crash still happened with the optimized build, but then I've been running smcFanControl for the last month, setting the fans at 1600rpm instead of the default 1200rpm. This has the effect of lowering GPU temps from around 60ºC to 52ºC when playing UrT, and I've not had the crash in the past month. It may just be a coincidence, but thanks for the tip!

#10 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

OS crash and games? This is most often an overheating issue. It's common to also happen [months] after the initial purchase of a PC Computer since dust accumulates. You might want to clean it from dust. [google]

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 16 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942