Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Fix for mouse lag in *buntu 9.04+? Rate Topic: -----

Click, wait, "bang" syndrome

#1 User is offline   Warhammer4k (old) Icon

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:38 AM

Is there a fix for the mouse lag problem in Ubuntu 9.04 and variants? I have a Logitech MX310 mouse, which works fine playing Urban Terror 4.1 under Windows XP. However, when running Kubuntu 9.04 64-bit, there is a noticeable and annoying lag between clicking the "fire" button and the gun actually firing. I guess it's some kind of problem with X11 or whatever is polling the mouse. I don't notice it doing ordinary desktop stuff, like using OpenOffice or Firefox, but it sure messes up Urban Terror.

Initially, I thought it was a lag in the game playing the "gun firing" sounds.

I know this issue is mentioned in the Linux FAQ at the top of this forum. However, the links for fixes are no good. Two of the three are dead, and the thread in the Gentoo forums hasn't seen any activity for over 3 years. Links there are likewise dead.

Surely someone's come up with a fix in the meantime?

This problem has been present ever since I started trying to play Urban Terror under Kubuntu 9.04. It's the last major problem keeping me from using Kubuntu 9.04 as my main OS, rather than Win XP. For now, if I want to play Urban Terror, I have to reboot into Windows XP. I'd rather not use Windows at all.

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:55 AM

see if it goes away with sdl. get ioquake3 source, compile it with 'STANDALONE' and run with +set fs_game q4ut4. It will use the sdl library which may fix such issues indirectly.

#3 User is offline   Warhammer4k (old) Icon

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:24 AM

View Postmitsubishi, on 22 December 2009 - 01:55 AM, said:

see if it goes away with sdl. get ioquake3 source, compile it with 'STANDALONE' and run with +set fs_game q4ut4. It will use the sdl library which may fix such issues indirectly.

I don't have the slightest clue how to compile from source. I'm pretty sure the executable I have uses SDL anyway. There are some SDL initialization messages in the Urban Terror console when I start the game.

The mouse lag problem fixed itself when I did a clean Kubuntu 9.10 install. I guess the devs have been working on it.

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:55 AM

might be an X server issue.

#5 User is offline   mrmustard Icon

• Account: mrmustard

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

View PostWarhammer4k (old), on 22 December 2009 - 01:38 AM, said:

Is there a fix for the mouse lag problem in Ubuntu 9.04 and variants? I have a Logitech MX310 mouse, which works fine playing Urban Terror 4.1 under Windows XP. However, when running Kubuntu 9.04 64-bit, there is a noticeable and annoying lag between clicking the "fire" button and the gun actually firing. I guess it's some kind of problem with X11 or whatever is polling the mouse. I don't notice it doing ordinary desktop stuff, like using OpenOffice or Firefox, but it sure messes up Urban Terror.

Initially, I thought it was a lag in the game playing the "gun firing" sounds.

I know this issue is mentioned in the Linux FAQ at the top of this forum. However, the links for fixes are no good. Two of the three are dead, and the thread in the Gentoo forums hasn't seen any activity for over 3 years. Links there are likewise dead.

Surely someone's come up with a fix in the meantime?

This problem has been present ever since I started trying to play Urban Terror under Kubuntu 9.04. It's the last major problem keeping me from using Kubuntu 9.04 as my main OS, rather than Win XP. For now, if I want to play Urban Terror, I have to reboot into Windows XP. I'd rather not use Windows at all.

I don't know how old this thread is, but when I was having this problem, it was the first page I found on it, but unfortunately the thread ends with no solution.

I was having mouse issues on Urban Terror, Doom3, and the Wolfenstein games.
I found a permanent fix, thought I'd share it just in case someone else stumbles on this thread with the same problem.

The fix:
add this to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Section "Module"

SubSection  "extmod"
           Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
         EndSubSection

Load		"glx"
EndSection 

Log out to restart your Xserver, or simply reboot. The mouse problems are gone the next time you launch UT.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   randomut Icon

• Account: randomut

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

installing kde components fixed the mouse lag for me, not really sure why

#7 User is offline   warhammer4k Icon

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

View Postmrmustard, on 18 June 2010 - 10:00 PM, said:

I don't know how old this thread is, but when I was having this problem, it was the first page I found on it, but unfortunately the thread ends with no solution.

I was having mouse issues on Urban Terror, Doom3, and the Wolfenstein games.
I found a permanent fix, thought I'd share it just in case someone else stumbles on this thread with the same problem.

The fix:
add this to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Section "Module"

SubSection  "extmod"
           Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
         EndSubSection

Load		"glx"
EndSection 

Log out to restart your Xserver, or simply reboot. The mouse problems are gone the next time you launch UT.

That didn't do anything for me.

And it's not actually a mouse problem. There's the same slight, but perceptible, lag between
pressing "Fire" and seeing & hearing the result onscreen, even if "Fire" is a key (e.g. left Ctrl).

View Postrandomut, on 07 July 2010 - 04:46 PM, said:

installing kde components fixed the mouse lag for me, not really sure why

Please specify the package you mean. A lot of stuff is listed in Synaptic as having something to do with "kde."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942