• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Invisibe, Spectator But Alive Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   H0i Icon

•   former FS member   
    Modeler
  • Account: h0i

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

I don't know what happend, but it was something wierd.

I was spectating (in 3rd person mode), I wanted to switch team at the moment everyone respawned. What happend: I was invisible, in third person and a spectator, but I was able to move, shoot, ect ect do everything you can do when you play. Nobody could see me and I raped everyone.

I don't have a demo, or screenshot but how did this happen?

#2 User is offline   20eazykills Icon

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:55 PM

LOL that's weird. I know sometimes when people leave the game, theres like an invisible model just standing there and you can kill them and get a free spectator kill, but I've never heard of someone actually controlling that person. That's pretty cool. how did you manage to get kills in 3rd person lol? I call lies, pics or gtfo. Either that or you were on a noob server where everyone is either afk or moves like crap and was easy to kill. idk man maybe i'm jus hatin cuz I wish that would happen to me :P

#3 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:58 PM

I don't know what that is Hoi but it sounds nasty in case someone figures out how to exploit it.

It sounds like packet loss + game code insecurity combination; an insecure portion that only manifests itself on packet loss; there are appear to be several such cases, though usually they don't express themselves with actually being able to kill others as an invisible guy; that's ultra nasty; gg, nice catch, i hope it's the last time it happens.

i guess a whole new system (transactional? encrypted? who knows) has to be written for gaming networking to avoid such insecurities but perhaps it's on purpose like that to avoid overheads.

it's probably related to all that 'reliable vs unreliable commands' notion in q3. e.g. weapon modes change sometimes accidentally since urt has put them being reported through the unreliable event system.

it appears it's unreliable to avoid expensive overheads, without knowing the details.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 18 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

#4 User is offline   kbar Icon

• Account: kbar
  • Main tag: no|

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

wait, what?

#5 User is offline   opium Icon

• Account: opium

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

same thing happened to me kind of. i ut_timenudged super high just to see what would happen. game ran 1315 fps-ish, i was in 3rd person view, could run around and shoot/toss nades but NOTHING hit ANYONE (i even held a nade right behind some camper and nothing happened to them but i died) i reset the timenudge and it went back to normal.

idk weird crap goin on.

#6 User is offline   DJ Schuby Icon

• Account: djschuby

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:47 AM

That's a very weird bug/glitch indeed. I'd be interested in learning more about this. I wonder if it might be possible to get something similar to happen in devmap

View Post20eazykills, on 17 January 2010 - 11:55 PM, said:

LOL that's weird. I know sometimes when people leave the game, theres like an invisible model just standing there and you can kill them and get a free spectator kill

Yeah I see that all the time. It happens when someone gets kicked for teamkilling. Now if somebody joins and gets the same slot number as the teamkiller had, the guy that got kicked will now be visible. If you kill them it will count as a kill against whoever it is that has just connected. The kill message will read their name in yellow because you can only do this while the person is still connecting to the server.
djschuby.net is the place to be!

#7 User is offline   20eazykills Icon

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

Ohhhh okay.

#8 User is offline   X-RaY Icon

• Account: xray

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

yap, the walking-shooting-fragging-in-third-person-view-while-spectating happened to me twice.
both in my offline server when i joined after my little brother joined.
but it always was a warmup countdown. maybe that has something to do with it

didn't got it lately, but i think it got something to do with someone else joining a team or server at the same time you join the match xD
My Awesome Jumping Vids: @ My Youtube Channel!

#9 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

I remember a guy we encountered a while ago, He would move to spec and attack people with a nade launcher. A buddy told me it's a glitch in the game so i banned the guy cause it was really a cheap shot.

#10 User is offline   opium Icon

• Account: opium

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:08 AM

View Post|WC|Rayne, on 20 January 2010 - 07:55 PM, said:

I remember a guy we encountered a while ago, He would move to spec and attack people with a nade launcher. A buddy told me it's a glitch in the game so i banned the guy cause it was really a cheap shot.

i really hope someone didnt find a way to exploit it on command and not just randomly. a whole new wave of hacking.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942