• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adultery caught on tape! Rate Topic: -----

#71 User is offline   Bodhisattva Icon

• Account: bodhisattva

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

I think the new animations are beautiful but to be honest, I'm concerned about how they will affect gameplay.

The 4.1 animations make it very clear which way clients are aiming. This is a huge portion of gameplay and interaction with the environment.

The 4.2 animations appear to spend almost all their time with their gun at their hips which makes me fear that the aspect of the game of seeing where others are aiming will disappear almost entirely.

I'm also concerned about the process of transitioning between gun at hip and firing. How will those animations work? When are models aiming?

I'm all for making the game prettier but not if it is at the expense of gameplay.

#73 User is offline   Phoenix Icon

• Account: phoenix

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 02 March 2010 - 01:00 AM, said:

The current goals for the new animations is not to eliminate the “readability” of the current animation in 4.1 but to improve and create a much stronger indication and association between the 1st person view and pass that along to the 3rd person model.

A good example of what I would refer to as a distinct advantage relates to the SR8 as someone using this weapon there was no way of being able to tell if someone was actually aiming, using the scope, or was not using it while moving to get a better position.

This made it difficult to use a reverse tactic as most time one was depending more on luck. Eagle for example has almost the perfect sniper advantage if you get two snipers up on the top level of the cable cars and you know you can get the angle if you knew just at the right moment to break cover.

The second objective is to allow a player to make better use of the environment based on much more realistic expiations. If you crouch behind a wall, create, or any type of map object you should be afforded some level of protection based on the expatiations that is a crouch rather than your head sticking up.

On the other hand.

The act of changing anything will always affect the game play and someone will always figure out a way to use a “feature” to their advantage but in the case of the new animation going in I believe it to be just a case of going from vanilla ice cream to strawberry. It’s still the same just a different taste. :D

Yup there is a lot of confusion as to the present poses and many assume that this is how they will be in the game. Personally I though it would be fun to show the process but I’m reconsidering showing any future work in progress as it creates to much confusion as compared to the benefits.

But

What is cool about the new set coming out is we found away to frame match md3 formatted files so although we don’t have true blending that is available in md5 we can now match one or two frames moving from one set of animations to another.

However

To get the frame matching right we need to start at a key pose that we know is true to all poses and once they are all blocked in we can then start creating more appropriate key poses for the different weapons and at the same time maintain the necessary frame matching.

In the end the results should be a much stronger link to the 3rd person model that the opponent is not only aiming but also what mode or current weapon selection they are using.

Overall though these are not decisions that I’m making on my own and once the set is completed there will be extensive player testing preformed by representatives of the UrT community to help fine tune the final set.

Can you simplify that, to say three sentences? :laugh:

#74 User is offline   Yas Icon

• Account: yas

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

View PostPhoenix, on 09 March 2010 - 12:35 PM, said:

Can you simplify that, to say three sentences? :laugh:

LOADSA HARD WORK

(uber simplified to 3ish words)

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942