• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

audio track problem in avi playback Rate Topic: -----

white noise, static

#1 User is offline   Aftershave Icon

• Account: aftershave
  • Main tag: pnk|

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

When I playback an avi recording of a demo the sound track is just static. The sound in the demo is perfect. Just gets messed up when I convert the demo to avi. My machine is aging now but, I doubt that it is too slow to capture UrT video. At very high frame rates yes, I run into problems. At 25 fps I would think I'd be in the clear. idk here are my specs:

Model Name: Power Mac G5
Processor Name: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
Chipset Model: GeForce 6800 Ultra
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Built In Sound Card:
Texas Instruments TAS3004:
Formats:
PCM 16:
Bit Depth: 16
Bit Width: 16
Channels: 2
Mixable: Yes
Sample Rates: 32 KHz, 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz
PCM 24:
Bit Depth: 24
Bit Width: 32
Mixable: Yes
AC3 16:
Bit Depth: 16
Bit Width: 16
Mixable: No

Currently I'm running 10.5 but, I had this same problem with 10.4.
I'm talking about a constant (all the way through the vid) ear bleeding static screeching that makes you rip your headphones off. I could post an example but, I feel like the above description is accurate and an example would be too much work just to achieve redundancy.

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

#2 User is offline   NoSleep Icon

• Account: nosleep
  • Main tag: [QH]

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

I think a similar problem I have, when trying to make a video, may be related to what's happening in your case.

When I'm capturing the video (at 25fps) it's clear to me that this is not happening at a rate of 25fps while the capture is going on. While capturing, everything appears slightly slower than normal. The sound I hear while capturing is triggered by events on screen, but, whilst the sound samples are playing at normal speed they sometimes double or triple in fast succession.

When I listen back to the sound on the completed video it has an awful ripping sound, with a lot of static, but you can hear it's related to the sounds in the game. As each frame of the video has been captured a slice of the sound at that moment has also been captured, but as it was captured slower than real time it's as if the sound has been concertina-ed into a messy approximation.

I haven't tried it as yet, but I think a possible answer would be to turn the sound off whilst capturing the video, making a silent version (maybe this is unnececessary - following the next step). Then capture the sound, using something like Audio Hijack, while the demo runs normally, and fit this soundtrack to the avi of the demo.

This post has been edited by NoSleep: 23 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

#3 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

take a look if one of those updated clients has different behavior. http://forums.urbant...of-ioq3-engine/

#4 User is offline   NoSleep Icon

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

Those new builds (optimized for 10.6-only) won't be of any help, as I run on 10.4 and Aftershave is on 10.5, and we're running on G5's.

I'm curious why Aftershave is running UrT under 10.5, as I tried doing this myself and my fps was reduced by 50% with an identical config, so I stuck with 10.4.

This post has been edited by NoSleep: 24 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

#5 User is offline   Aftershave Icon

• Account: aftershave
  • Main tag: pnk|

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

View PostNoSleep, on 24 March 2010 - 12:01 PM, said:

Those new builds (optimized for 10.6-only) won't be of any help, as I run on 10.4 and Aftershave is on 10.5, and we're running on G5's.

I'm curious why Aftershave is running UrT under 10.5, as I tried doing this myself and my fps was reduced by 50% with an identical config, so I stuck with 10.4.

What! weird man I noticed better fps when I switched to 10.5. Maybe I changed something in my config file when I updated. But, either way I'm not reformatting again unless absolutely necessary, haahaha.
Ya, when I capture the sound has this echo or ping pong effect going on. The avi is all static but on the infrequent occasion of a half second of game related sound: water splash, gun shot, someone "bleh"ing when getting shot. It looks like a separate audio capture is the fix, fuh. I wonder if this is just a pre intel g5 problem or what. Well, thanks NoSleep.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   NoSleep Icon

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

View PostAftershave, on 26 March 2010 - 11:17 PM, said:

What! weird man I noticed better fps when I switched to 10.5. Maybe I changed something in my config file when I updated.

Could you PM me a copy of your config file, please? I would like to see if it helps me under 10.5. I have a feeling that the answer is "no", as 10.4 is the OS designed for the G5. It made sense to me that 10.5 slowed UrT down on my G5 (a Quad 2.5GHz). I feel a thread in the making.

#7 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

It would be interesting to know or there is something wrong itself with the engine's audio capturing capability with ioUrT on OSX. Tho i know there are some players that didn't had problem with this on their OSX setup.

#8 User is offline   NoSleep Icon

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

I'd also be interested if other Mac users are not experiencing this problem.

Aside: Just tried UrT under 10.5 again, and experienced a slight improvement in performance in the game.

edit: Tried again (!!!) and this time UrT slowed down under 10.5 (tried a couple more timedemos in both and concluded that UrT runs best in 10.4, but only just).

This post has been edited by NoSleep: 27 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

#9 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

isn't there any ioquake3 version available for those macs?

#10 User is offline   NoSleep Icon

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

Yes: all the versions prior to the one you mentioned earlier will work fine, but not for making movies with a soundtrack intact.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942