Urban Terror Forums: Panning artifact example on 60 vs 25 FPS - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Panning artifact example on 60 vs 25 FPS Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

60FPS is on Baseline profile so it should play even on the less powerful GPUs. To play on CPUs-only it might be hard [even on multithreading]. Examples of GPU accelerated setups are newer NVIDIAs with Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player.

Both are on -crf 18 which [indirectly] gives a very generous bitrate. MeGUI's preset settings are 'Slow'.

On the videos, one can see that panning is so severe on 25FPS that one can't even decide whether the camera is moving left or right at the time. It's so messed up you lose direction.

panning:
Posted Image

Offtopic: Of interest is that this shows codec accounts for human perception quite noticeably by not increasing bitrate linearly: while FPS more that doubled and even Profile was lowered, file size only went about double.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 13 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

#2 User is offline   SubJunk Icon

• Account: subjunk

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

View Postmitsubishi, on 13 May 2010 - 12:38 PM, said:

On the videos, one can see that panning is so severe on 25FPS that one can't even decide whether the camera is moving left or right at the time. It's so messed up you lose direction.

Obviously the 60FPS version is much smoother, so you have made the point you sought to make, but I don't think it's accurate to say people lose direction. It is quite clear to me in both versions of the video which direction the camera is moving.

#3 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

The cause of this problem you found is not the codec or it's settings. But it originate from the fact we cannot change/set the exposure time (or shutter speed) of the "camera" when we capture.
When a "real camera" captures "real life" action don't have this problem. You'll rather get a heavily blurred screen (or depend on shutter speed) during the fast-motion panning.

The ability to set and change exposure time could probably gives us a more real-life look to videos we capture at still relatively low FPS.

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

I didn't say anything controversial, that's not for "you the experts" but for general consumption [I was just testing it myself and I went like "what the hell, why don't I upload it too, it doesn't cost anything more"].

BTW, concerning "real cameras", I think we can safely say our case of "panning artifact" is quite clear["clean"]: each different screenshot is "perfect" [unlike real cameras], it's the FPS itself [alone] that creates the smoothness or un-smoothness. [something close to the 'tearing artifacts' though not exactly same [let alone players are usually on vsync]]

Nexu, or some kind of 'general motion blur'.

Surprising that ioquake3 doesn't already have it; it sounds easy for someone already versed in the renderer [maybe they need someone to suggest it]; I wonder if bumpy has it.

[I sent them an email but I don't expect much].

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 13 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

#5 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

I asked this before to 27 for bumpy. From what i understood the problem was that he couldn't do this just with GLSL as he lacks the proper Z-depth value of each object to calculate a proper amount of blur for those objects from the players point of view.

But...who knows. Maybe he can hack a workaround for ioUrT + UrT modcode to get it working.

Motion blur in terms of gameplay may not be a good thing, or not even needed for players already getting 125fps. But for those with a meager 20-40 fps, or just those with 'normal' (50-90) fps. It might be good, but than the problem for those getting low fps is because their (graphics) hardware was weak to begin with.... :dry:
As motion blur are certainly no 'cheap' calculations.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Impy Icon

• Account: impy

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

pretty sure that the movie maker edition of q3 has some form of motion blur in it. If you watch the movie kaleidoscope, you'll see it used extensively. I asked Tarq about it and thats what he said anyway. in tarq i trust >D

#7 User is offline   SubJunk Icon

• Account: subjunk

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:58 PM

Yeah motion blurring and adding false frames can make a huge difference to perceived FPS. I love watching TV on 240Hz TVs, even though the source is only 25-30FPS it works so well, it tricks your eyes into seeing 240FPS

View PostImpy, on 13 May 2010 - 11:55 PM, said:

pretty sure that the movie maker edition of q3 has some form of motion blur in it. If you watch the movie kaleidoscope, you'll see it used extensively. I asked Tarq about it and thats what he said anyway. in tarq i trust >D
It's possible using programs like After Effects, maybe that's what he used. Or maybe you're right, if you are it would be cool to know that var

#8 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:59 PM

i.e. Could all this 'shutter talk' be the job of a video editor? i.e. 'feed it speed or just video[or 'camera lens' parameters] and let it blur it'?

[oh; SubJunk just posted something similar]

Didn't tarquin use high FPS too?

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 14 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

#9 User is offline   Impy Icon

• Account: impy

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

http://q3mme.proboards.com/index.cgi <--- I want an UrT version of this plox.

Outdated TXT Feature set from their boards...

- Spline based camera paths
- Special chase camera mode
- Instant seeking through demos
- Saving project files with all settings
- Screenshot capturing to tga/jpg/png/avi format
- Limitless fps output
- Integrated motion blur
- Saving of depth buffer information
- Saving ingame audio to wav files
- Changing playerdata for different names, models, skins, colors
- Skybox edges fixed for ATI users
- Osp rail available everywhere
- Osp style hex color codes
- Alias style command support
- Save depth and stencil buffer to a black and white screenshot
- Background music track to synch editing to the music
- Filter certain effects and change some onscreen data
- Support for baseq3, defrag, cpma, osp and ra3 demos, other baseq3 based mods may work too

This post has been edited by Impy: 14 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

#10 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

What was the actual technology of this? How does it blur. I suspect it just calls a third party app on the result.

oh wait; it's not totally dead; download link.

can't you just run that? urt is still a q3 mod.

It's apparently a mod + its own client build. Unclear if stuff like blurring is on the renderer or mod at first glance.

If they modified the client, where's the source?

Aha, it appears to be solely a client update and the source is here http://sourceforge.n...uake3mme/files/

ah, apparently the latest version is unavailable.

Meh, I don't see blur on the available source's readme. ["jpeg on avidemo", ye we're passed that]

one could still play with the old one but no bumpy effects and good luck with avidemo hehe.

It appears a lot it has are 'fixed' on ioquake3 but not all of course.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 15 May 2010 - 01:19 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942