• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Startup Problems - RESOLVED. Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_caesarlike

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:23 AM

Hi there,

I have just downloaded and installed UT 3.7 Full.

When I try to start a game the program either crashes or the map freezes.

When the program crashes the console window opens to say that there is a Maximum Cvars Error.

When I change the graphics settings to the lowest settings, the map either freezes as soon as it opens, and before the menu appears, or the map appears, and when I click on anything on the menu the program freezes.
If I click on ESC as soon as the map opens, I can move around, but again if I try to select anything from the menu the game freezes.

My computer system is:

Win XP Home with SP2
P4 1.8G processor
512Mb Ram
GeForce FX5200 grapics card with 128Mb memory

According to my graphics card my system has around 240Mb of free ram to run the game.

I have also disabled both AV and firewall (Norton Internet Security 2004), but this does not help.

Any ideas anyone?????

CaesarLike.

#2 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:30 AM

exact error message?
overclocked gfx card?
problems with other opengl games?
problems with direct3d games?

#3 Guest_caesarlike

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:52 AM

Hi HoboHumpinSlut,

The exact error message when the map freezes before the menu appears is:

recursive error after max_cvars

The only other opengl game I have on the computer is Q3. In fact this is the only other game on the computer except for the old Q1 & Q2.

In fact, about 6 months ago I was running UT3.6 (I think it was) using an integrated 3D card with 48mb dynamic memory, but I cannot get UT3.7 to run at all irrespective of which card I use.

Not much help I assume, but there it is.

#4 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:35 AM

http://www.google.co...after+max_cvars

#5 Guest_caesarlike

Posted 14 November 2004 - 04:05 AM

Hi $NulL,

Thanks for the reply.

As a still newbie to UT I am not sure what the details in your reply actually mean. I assume that it relates to changes needed in the config file? As for the link, thank you, I will definately look at this.

As for the problem in hand, the situation now is as follows.

When I access the UT mod via the Q3 mods menu, I have the problems stated above. But I can actually play online with no apparent problems.
I think the problem relates to how the game is being started as a server on my computer using the Q3 mods menu.

However, I have discovered that if I start the game using a shortcut in the UT folder called "Urban Terror 3.5.lnk" the game starts and allows me to setup and run a game server without any apparent problems. However, when I try to use the "Urban Terror 3.7.lnk" a message box comes up to tell me that the required drive or network connection is unavailable.

Finally, I looked at the UT manual online and found the section for troubleshooting. I followed the instructions in the section called:

10.4.5 - Error: hunk_Alloc failed on xxxxxxx

This stated:

You might need to modify your seta com_hunkMegs "128" or higher if you cannot play the mod or particular maps.

I did this. I changed it from the original "56" to "128" in the "q3config.cfg" file in the UT folder. While this did not seem to make any difference when loading UT via the Q3 mods menu, maybe it worked when using the "Urban Terror 3.5.lnk" shortcut?

Hell, I dunno. All I know is that using the UT 3.5 shortcut works.

Does any of this make any sense? I don't even know what the UT 3.5 shortcut actually does! I am just happy that it does it.

Regards,

CaesarLike.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:09 AM

The shortcut bit makes sense, as does the loading from the mods menu. The shortcut may not have the right path to quake3.exe, that simple. Loading from the menu, well, you're going to be combining configs (q3 and ut), so you're probably running out of CVars because of that. I would suggest just loading from the shortcut.

#7 Guest_caesarlike

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:42 AM

Hi illogical,

I think you are right. Starting from the UT 3.5 shortcut works fine. Apart form the fact that some of the maps won't load, such as the Campus & Nimrod maps, which I suspect is due to not enough memory. I think I will add some ram and see how it goes.

Also, if the game is running as a server on my PC, shouldn't it trigger my firewall for permission to access the internet. So far, it has not doen this.

Regards,

CaesarLike.

#8 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 14 November 2004 - 07:15 AM

512MB RAM is more than enough. Just make sure com_hunkmegs is like 96. That should do the trick.

#9 Guest_caesarlike

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:53 AM

Thanks illogical, it did do the trick.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Caesarlike.

#10 User is offline   supadevil3 Icon

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

Mine has the opengl problem any help there?

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942