• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

nVidia weirdness Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Caine (old) Icon

• LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:57 AM

I figured I would post on this since its been going on for awhile, and I started reading the forums regularly.

I run a GeForce 4 MX 440 on a Via motherboard. Here's the deal. I used to stay up to date on all my drivers. But over the last year I have read a bunch of different forums and I found a thread talking about stability with the vid card I have. Consequently I have been using the 44.67 version of the nVidia drivers.

Now, I am sure that there are lots of people out there running the new version of the drivers. Everytime I use the NEW drivers, past 44.67, I get all kinds of terrible performance. My game will bog down and continue to do so until I reach about 8 FPS. The most noticable, but not only, problem seems to happen when I have Trillian open and someone comes online and the notification window pops up. After one window comes up, quake3 becomes unusable. When I use the OLD drivers, I don't have this problem and my game is much better.

Yes, I know I can turn off the popups, but it occurs to me, that this is how bugs are found. It can't be UrT.

I was wondering if anyone has or COULD test this out on a similar system and see if you get better FPS/game play. Constructive theories or comments are always welcome.

#2 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

• LocationNetherlands, The

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:52 PM

Im still using 45.23 cuz those new forceware-drivers are causing so much trouble. I havent tried the newest, and Im not going to. The ones I have now work fine and im not gonna risk my PC crashing every 5 minutes.

#3 User is offline   MrSentry Icon

• Account: mrsentry
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:57 PM

Im using 56.72 they seem to work just find for me
nVidia FX 5200

You might wanna think about just turning off the Trillion

#4 User is offline   rashly (old) Icon

• Locationlong island

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:38 PM

i recommend the 44.03's on any nv28 and lower grade card (gf4 and down. your gf4mx is nv18). many problems were introduced with every driver set above the 44.03's because that is when they started including cheats and application detections because the nv3x line was so underpowered. some of these things screwed up compatibility with older cards.

summary: use 44.03 for all nvidia cards released before the fx line.

#5 User is offline   NakedAssassin (old) Icon

• Location55.56°N 4.01°W

Posted 17 June 2004 - 01:38 AM

Hrmmm... interesting stuff here. I'm gonna go from my shiny new 56.72's back to trying the 44.03.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   rashly (old) Icon

• Locationlong island

Posted 17 June 2004 - 01:46 AM

if everything is working fone for you, then i wouldn't suggest rolling back driver versions.

if you have problems, then go for it.

#7 User is offline   Mav (old) Icon

• LocationGreenwood, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:20 PM

Yes, 5x.xx series drivers have caused issues for people. PB released a work around time fix in one of their updates. The lockups seem to have been resolved for me, but I know some who still have issues. All you can do is try and see, if don't work your pretty much SOL.

#8 User is offline   NakedAssassin (old) Icon

• Location55.56°N 4.01°W

Posted 19 June 2004 - 05:55 PM

I went back and it screwed shit up bigtime so I'll just carry on with the latest drivers. I have had the same inexplicable FPS drop that a lot of people seem to have had, but I'm not so sure that changing gfx drivers will help.

#9 User is offline   rashly (old) Icon

• Locationlong island

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:38 PM

[quote name='"NakedAssassin"]I went back and it sh*t up bigtime so I'll just carry on with the latest drivers. I have had the same inexplicable FPS drop that a lot of people seem to have had' date=' but I'm not so sure that changing gfx drivers will help.[/quote']
you have to be sure to completely uninstall all files from the nvidia drivers when going back to an older version. run the driver uninstaller, and then uninstall the display adapter. restart in safe mode and run detonator destroyer (or a similar program) to get rid of all files. then restart and install the new drivers.

#10 Guest_Teh Calvino

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:27 AM

i am running a cheap fx 5200 128MB with either 43.45 or 45.23, cant remember, anyway, i have the same problem and i HATE IT...if you have a link for the eralier drivers that dont have a problem PLEASE post, or send to midevilspider@yahoo.com even send through aim sn midevilspider....

http://www.forums.ur...pic.php?p=37943 <= my nVidia problem post ^_^

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942