• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping with max Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eric Draven (old) Icon

• LocationGenazzano (Italy)

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

Hi guys, I'm a player of the Italian community urbanterror.it, for business use AutoCAD and 3D Studio Max, it is possible to model a map in 3DS Max without using the mapmaker to model? Or certain features are required to use it? I mean I can shape water, windows, doors without using the max mapmaker?

Thanks
Eric Draven

I apologize if the subject is repeated, but I can not find anything about it.

#2 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

max has poop gridsnap, but you can make the model then export it to ase. Then you import the model into radiant, where you'll end up clipping it with caulk so you get vis blocking and clipping. Unless you're doing terrain, most deem it an unnecessary amount of work.

#3 User is offline   Eric Draven (old) Icon

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

View Postkeres, on 17 November 2009 - 01:56 PM, said:

max has poop gridsnap, but you can make the model then export it to ase. Then you import the model into radiant, where you'll end up clipping it with caulk so you get vis blocking and clipping. Unless you're doing terrain, most deem it an unnecessary amount of work.

Thanks for your reply, I will try to install radiant and I understand a little bit of software, thanks again and even if some things are not clear, let's pull something out.

#4 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

Max is good for augmenting radaint's brush work with smaller intricate details, but I don't think its practical to build a whole map in max. Certainly things like entities and clipping have to be done in radiant.

I use max for small details like railings or bits of destroyed building where brushes become awkward to use.

For example, I wanted to destroy part of a building last week, so I cut out a section of the building in radiant:
Posted Image

Then exported the map to max for editing:
Posted Image

I built the destroyed section in max and imported just the new geometry back to radiant:
Posted Image

That's how I use max, other people may have different techniques though.

#5 User is offline   Eric Draven (old) Icon

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

Thanks, I tried to use Radiant, and I'm noticing a lot of difficulty (I am a newbie, maybe a little practice and some tutorials will help me). I was hoping to only use Max for the construction and understand the mechanisms of Radiant and then use them only to make the map playable. I can not even import my models. Looks like a war with this software. Thanks for the answers. I just realized something I post it here. :roll:

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

Don't expect to be an expert in using radiant on the first day you try it; It may take a couple of weeks before you become comfortable with the basics, and maybe a few months before you become proficient at more complex things. Hell, it takes some people years to become a good level designer, after mastering radaint.

But radiant, at its heart, is quite a simple program, you only work with 2 different types of objects: Mainly convex brushes and a few patch meshes.

Using ASE models in the standard way to transfer geometry between max and radiant.

#7 User is offline   Eric Draven (old) Icon

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

Excuse the abrupt absence, but I was busy with an exam, I finished the map in 2D and now I want to achieve in radians, can I follow guides on the program though for different games or other type nexuix? Searching the internet I could not find anything to give me a starting point.
If someone wants to help in the project :laugh:, I could concentrate on the realization of other maps that I have in mind. If you want instead of 2d-3d screen of the map. Hello

Ps: This here is the idea of the map for a TS.
Florence

This post has been edited by Eric Draven: 01 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

#8 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

Try these: http://www.wemakemap...orkshoptuts.htm

They are for quake3 but are close enough (Urbanterror is a quake 3 mod after all.), you can gloss over the quake3 specific sections like the teleporters etc.

#9 User is offline   spazzattack Icon

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:30 PM

View PostNulL, on 17 November 2009 - 03:50 PM, said:

Max is good for augmenting radaint's brush work with smaller intricate details, but I don't think its practical to build a whole map in max. Certainly things like entities and clipping have to be done in radiant.

I use max for small details like railings or bits of destroyed building where brushes become awkward to use.

For example, I wanted to destroy part of a building last week, so I cut out a section of the building in radiant:
Posted Image

Then exported the map to max for editing:
Posted Image

I built the destroyed section in max and imported just the new geometry back to radiant:
Posted Image

That's how I use max, other people may have different techniques though.

Old topic, and potentially daft question, but how do you import radiant geometry into 3ds? (v10)

#10 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:46 PM

Using q3map2's -convert switch to convert a .bsp to an ASE model.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942