Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 Rate Topic: -----

What games will HD5470 on laptop Play?

#1 User is offline   skillz Icon

• Account: skillz

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

I have been trying to buy laptop for ages now but im coming closer and closer so its time for me to start researching. the laptop im looking at is this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/199191 and i was wondering what games it would play and how well it would play them.

Also is i3 dual core if so is it always dual core?

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by skillz: 16 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

#2 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

See also: http://www.notebookc...70.23698.0.html

For one, it is sufficient to play UrbanTerror 4.1 with, also for the upcoming UrbanTerror HD as the HD5470 is capable of PS 2.0 (Pixel Shaders).

Second, it would be capable to play most of the modern titles using the lowest graphics details setting at moderate resolutions (1024x768, 1360x768, 1440x900, 1280x1024 and similar). It's 64-bits memory bus does limit it's performances, as well only equipped with mere 80 unified shaders.

But as with all other graphics card in this 'entry level graphics'. It's only as good as the processor to 'feed' data to it. With that said, the i3-550M looks like a pretty capable mobile dual-core chip. However, not all games makes efficient use of dual-core (or multi-core) architecture. UrbanTerror 4.1 is such game that doesn't make good use of dual-core systems.

#3 User is offline   skillz Icon

• Account: skillz

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

it might be asking a bit much but could you search for a laptop on this site? http://www.ebuyer.com it has to be under £550 has to have at least 15" screen and good at multi media ,at least 3gb ram thanks :)

#4 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

In that price range you are at. You won't find much better mobile GPU offering (i looked). Or if you do, they are usually lacking in other areas, such as CPU performances or poor quality LCD screen or just generally poor production quality.

The one you posted in your 1st post already meet the criteria you given in the post here above. The HD5470 does support UVD2 for GPU accelerated video decoding, allowing you to watch FullHD videos without stressing the CPU which is what i suppose you mean with "multimedia". The laptop also has HDMI with HDCP support, so you can connect it to your HD television that support HDMI (audio channel can also go over the HDMI) with HDCP if required. So it could also potentially serve as a temporary 'media center/HTPC' as it comes with a BluRay drive.
It is also possible with the AMD Catalyst Accelerated Parallel Processing to use the GPU to encode your own recorded videos. Which is vastly faster than encoding videos with your CPU*. I mention this as some consider this a "multimedia" feature, the ability to create your own "multimedia" content.

* = CPU based video encoding can produce better video image quality results as those applications often provide more control and options to the encoding process.

#5 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

The main problem of most laptops is 60Hz screen.

Then again most desktop users get 60Hz screens and don't know it.

So, meh.

There are some that have SLI on them, though sometimes not necessary.

Tip: if you game them, it might help if you have a small keyboard (or similar contraption) to the side so that you aren't confined to the "square" of the screen-keyboard of the laptop.

We could also get an extra monitor but we may be going too far into desktopization.

--

There are several advantages in gaming.

- Their keyboards are often amazingly good technologically. e.g. A Logitech keyboard couldn't press 4 or 5 keys [particular keys] at the same time. A Toshiba could. (then again, we have the issue mentioned above, unless you rip it off, bad idea, and not easy, their cables are short)

- Free "UPS" that lasts for hours.

-- other?

--

Problem with screens is that you can't even find their specs easily usually. I'm still searching for what Hz Response I have currently.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 17 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

With poor LCD i was referring to the TN panels, which uses 6-bits per RGB channel, resulting into a 18 bits display (262.143 colors) in contrast to the 24-bits depth (16.777.215 colors) the VPU sends to the screen.
But consider the price class, it's most likely that the laptop in question is using a TN panel. Al tho some TN panel uses "better quality dithering method" (to compensate for the lack of color depth) which help the color reproduction.

That, and better grey-2-grey latency and DIN-ISO; And maybe reduced input latency.

#7 User is offline   Pussnboots Icon

• Account: pussnboots

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

View Postmitsubishi, on 17 December 2010 - 10:16 AM, said:

The main problem of most laptops is 60Hz screen.

Then again most desktop users get 60Hz screens and don't know it.

So, meh.

There are some that have SLI on them, though sometimes not necessary.

Tip: if you game them, it might help if you have a small keyboard (or similar contraption) to the side so that you aren't confined to the "square" of the screen-keyboard of the laptop.

We could also get an extra monitor but we may be going too far into desktopization.

--

There are several advantages in gaming.

- Their keyboards are often amazingly good technologically. e.g. A Logitech keyboard couldn't press 4 or 5 keys [particular keys] at the same time. A Toshiba could. (then again, we have the issue mentioned above, unless you rip it off, bad idea, and not easy, their cables are short)

- Free "UPS" that lasts for hours.

-- other?

--

Problem with screens is that you can't even find their specs easily usually. I'm still searching for what Hz Response I have currently.

^<-- Heh.. Thought it was woody posting there for a sec

All you need to run UrT is either an Atari or Commodore64 with a 5 1/4 disk drive.

J/K

As far as your question though, I know people that use that GFX card and have no complaints.

This post has been edited by Pussnboots: 18 December 2010 - 01:11 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942