Urban Terror Forums: Windows 7 64-bit version / problems with autoexec and compatibility mode - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Windows 7 64-bit version / problems with autoexec and compatibility mode Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   urtaccount Icon

• Account: urtaccount

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

Hello, as you can see in the topic I have some troubles with playing Urban Terror. I recently got Windows 7 the 64-bit version and wanted to install it. Until then everything worked fine. But when I am ingame, somehow the configurations I made in the autoexec.cfg won't get recognized and I only can change my controls through the ingame menu.

I joined the IRC channel in QuakeNet and asked for help, one told me that I should try to run Urban Terror with XP compatibility mode. I did but now I get the error "couldn't load default.cfg".

Anyone has a clue how I could fix my problems? I really want to play again.

#2 User is offline   LynXIII Icon

• Account: lynxiii
  • Main tag: C.M.M.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

start UrT as admin.
Also make sure you edit the autoexec.cfg in your 'My Documents' folder (or anywhere else where you have writing rights) and copy it to your urban terror folder afterwards.

#3 User is offline   urtaccount Icon

• Account: urtaccount

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

I already did that and it won't help. I am German, too, by the way, if you want to talk German with me.

#4 User is offline   Pussnboots Icon

• Account: pussnboots

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

NO! Do NOT start URT as admin. Bad juki man. Security risk.

Edit: As a general rule of thumb, it is unwise to run ANY program that accesses the network, as Administrator. Though it is highly unlikely that something will happen, someone could find a way through your open ports and use that program to do anything they want to your PC. Since you have granted the program Admin, that means it has FULL access to EVERYTHING on your PC. There has already been found exploits that can do this with the Quake III code.

You have to save the autoexec.cfg in your appdata directory.

Start -> Run
Type in %appdata%

Click on AppData in your address bar
Click on local -> Virtual Store -> Program Files (x86) -> Urban Terror -> q3ut4

This is where you will save autoexec.cfg and where your demos, videos and screenshots will be stored.

This post has been edited by Pussnboots: 23 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

#5 User is offline   Haydugjr Icon

• Account: haydugjr

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

I just install all independent games to a folder in my My Documents, that way Vista/7 doesn't *@!# any shit up like it normally does.
Sorry, Caps-Lock broke there for a minute.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Pussnboots Icon

• Account: pussnboots

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

Well, to be honest it is a brilliant idea long time coming. Unfortunately, the guys at MS were a bit slow to get to it and were actually forced to when pushing their 64 bit OS. Various Linux OS distros do this by default, 64 bit or not. It allows the system to be more (MUCH more) secure in the realms of file permissions/management.

I give MS Kudos for doing that. It's not a bad thing at all. It's certainly a bit of a round about way of doing things, but is yet another effective way to protect your expensive machine and/or critical files.

This post has been edited by Pussnboots: 23 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942