Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Gamma problems on Win 7 (Nvidia GFX) Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   BasementCat Icon

• Account: basementcat

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

I'm running UrT on a Win 7 box with an Nvidia GeForce GT 540M (via Optimus) and it seems to completely ignore my r_gamma setting on startup. If I go and set r_gamma manually (e.g. with /r_gamma 1.51) then it works just fine, but I have to do that every time I start UrT. Putting it in autoexec.gfg doesn't work. If I check r_gamma on startup (before manually setting it) it says 1.5, and if I set it to 1.5 again nothing happens --- I have to change it to e.g. 1.51 for it to register.

Now, after I updated the gfx driver to the latest version, it even resets gamma in-game every 10 minutes or so --- it didn't do that before and I only had to set/change gamma if I alt-tabbed out or restarted the game. I've tried disabling the desktop wallpaper slideshow (as suggested in another thread), but that didn't work.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated, because as it is now, I have a bind to change gamma every time if fucks up, but it's still annoying as hell to play with.

Oh yeah, I've tried messing around with r_ignorehwgamma and r_ext_gamma_control but to no avail.

#2 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

Try another OpenGL title like OpenArena or QuakeLive (preferably those since they uses pretty much same rendering code) and see or the issue remain; if so it's driver related problem with the OpenGL drivers of NVIDIA.

#3 User is offline   BasementCat Icon

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

Thanks. I'll try that. Downloading OpenArena now.

#4 User is offline   BasementCat Icon

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

Yeah, OpenArena doesn't keep the setting either. Or rather, r_gamma retains its set value, but the gfx driver doesn't react to it before I change it. Curse you Nvidia!

#5 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

NVIDIA isn't the only one. AMD also pay less attention to their OpenGL drivers (on Windows platform) these days.
Try rolling back to older drivers that support your graphics chipset.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   BasementCat Icon

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, I'm afraid that's the only option, and even then it won't work completely, because the GT 540M is a relatively new card, so there are not a whole lot of older drivers to fall back on.

Anyways, thanks for your help. Having the problem located makes it a little easier to fix eventually.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942