• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Server not using [Mod] tags in name Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Runamuk Icon

• Account: runamuk

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:26 AM

MOD's are nice for gaming because they offer 2 things;something new and player input. Sometimes players come up with innovative ideas that devs don't. These ideas are obviously working because many people enjoy the servers. I understand the down side to it, the game can be made to do things that the devs didn't intend and this may reflect the game. I think that a proper mod should be accepted by FS and approved and all mods not approved should be removed from the server listing. Not to down anyone that has the mods but the ping spoofing is utter crap. It wasn't done to promote fun or make something different but to make their own server popular. Unlike using bots, where you get something in return(players), ping spoofing was a gross misuse of code to lure people to play. That should not be listed on the Master. Zombie was maybe not a proper mod but only because the technique to make a real mod is not allowed. It's as close to a real mod that you can get under the circumstances. The big game companies use to support mods and custom content and now they don't so that they can bank on PC games like they do consoles. Games won't stay popular this way when the developer stops producing content where the community can. I would have hoped FS could recognize the benefits of open sourcing mods for URT and let the players help make new content. Killing Floor is a fun game that was started as a mod as was Counter Strike. Just my 2 cents on the issue.

#12 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:53 AM

View PostRunamuk, on 23 September 2011 - 01:26 AM, said:

Killing Floor is a fun game that was started as a mod as was Counter Strike. Just my 2 cents on the issue.

Exactly, KF and CS were mods. Actual mods that ran from an original game.
You had to download the mod and install it in order to play it.
You don't have to install anything to play zombie MOD.

#13 User is offline   warniewsw Icon

• Account: warniewsw

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:07 AM

I have also noticed 1up servers have completely removed the mod tags, i got the server admin of the first one to finally put them back in after ignoring me the first time,
but noticed other zombie mods have taken the mod tag out so im abit all over the place from reading the rules that u guys want it in there totally stupid on there behalf :\

#14 User is offline   elfix Icon

• Account: elfix

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

And very surprisingly, one of these zombie servers is in the top #3 of most popular Urban Terror Servers. Reason for that I wouldn't say it's "total BS", eh? How do you explain it?

No, I don't believe FS should be repugnant to seeing those "mods" online. Yes, I believe that those could give them ideas of further games to develop for ulterior versions of UrT and see how they work out without game "native" adaptation. You can clearly see zombie mod was a success for 4.1 and it probably should be inserted into HD as a game respecting the actual "zombie mode" rules. On the other hand, "rocket" mods don't seem to be very attractive so I personally wouldn't do anything with them.

I also like Runamuk's idea about an approval from FS before proposing server-side mods. Perhaps FS should consider doing that for HD and have more control over those "mods" and remove/deny those that are "over-tweaked" or do not comply with FS mod guidelines.

Note that I'm not arguing over UrT and its non-opensourceness, nor am I saying FS should release its source code. It's about FS tolerating modifications of their own code, without deliberately allowing them.

#15 User is offline   Runamuk Icon

• Account: runamuk

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Rayne, you can't make a proper mod without the right tools. That is why I said Zombie is as close to a mod as you can get without going proper due to the limitations FS put on modifying their game.

I support FS and their decisions and I am in no way speaking against their actions. I just am stating that a happy medium of being able to add new elements and modes without the dev team would be appreciated. That is what made gaming on a PC so fun and helped establish online communities. It would be nice if more clans could run some of these new game types, like Zombie. Controlling the master server means that you can decide who and what gets listed so enforcing the rules wouldn't be hard. The other games that had mods were never tarnished because the players knew that the game was modded. We accept that it did things it wasn't designed to do and that maybe things weren't perfect. Paintball for COD4 was a blast and I would love to play it on URT.

My point with KF and CSS is that they were mods that went retail and now stand on their own 2 feet. 25 percent of the new maps and some content in the KF updates are user developed. They were good enough to go stock and that makes it easy for people to play. I would like to see more 3rd party maps go stock. You don't even need to make a code update. Just include them in the DL so servers can run them without a DL redirect. HD is important but 4.1 is still here and needs some excitement. If you aren't developing it anymore open it up to modding.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942