Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Want to Set Up a Server Rate Topic: -----

own computer vs. renting server

#1 User is offline   oldasdirt Icon

• Account: oldasdirt

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

I have read most on this subject here but networking is difficult for me. I've tried to use the "set up server" from within UT and I've tried to setup a server using YouTube instructions. Neither works.

Is there a "not impossible" way to set up a server on my home Win 7.64 i5 machine? Or should I rent a server (under $10/mo.)?

If I rent one how do i set up a UT server on it?

Really need some good info.

This post has been edited by oldasdirt: 12 October 2011 - 11:30 PM

#2 User is offline   r4g3b0rn Icon

• Account: r4g3b0rn

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:53 AM

I recommend http://www.pingpulse.net, their servers are cheap, the up time is 99.9% its only down for maintenance like 1 time every 2 months, the customer service is wonderful and very friendly to those who need help, they also host b3 for $3 extra a month. We use it and we have not had a single issue. The voice servers are also cheap through them, we have a 20 slot ts3 for $3.

We have a 16 slot server through them and its only $10.40 where as we also have a 12 slot through game servers that is $14.30 or something like that.

I highly recommend them, if you use them put Mark Cyrulik as the referral.

#3 User is offline   ivan2 Icon

• Account: ivan2

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

I happen to be a on a server with plenty of hosting space left over. Perhaps I could help you set up a server to run from our machine so you can try it out. I can be reached via email at ian[+]ivan2.us.

PS. I can also walk you through setting up a home server if you wish.

#4 User is offline   Ateamrocks Icon

• Account: ateamrocks

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

Buy a monthly VPS with about a Gig of ram (usually lowendbox.com has a few deals going) and run 3-4 servers all at once. I've been doing this with a few high-traffic servers, and have had no problem. Cheap and easy...

Currently running a box with 1GB of RAM, OpenVZ, 30GB HDD, 1500GB Transfer, and I'm able to cleanly run 3 high-traffic servers, all for 5$ a month.

-B1
B1naryTh1ef
:3

#5 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:28 AM

View PostAteamrocks, on 02 December 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

Buy a monthly VPS with about a Gig of ram (usually lowendbox.com has a few deals going) and run 3-4 servers all at once. I've been doing this with a few high-traffic servers, and have had no problem. Cheap and easy...

Currently running a box with 1GB of RAM, OpenVZ, 30GB HDD, 1500GB Transfer, and I'm able to cleanly run 3 high-traffic servers, all for 5$ a month.

-B1

if he/she cannot host a server using the windows based graphical user interface what makes you think he/she can use a virtual server.

He/She is better off either not running an server or renting one from a server provider that does all the work for him/her

This post has been edited by nitro: 04 December 2011 - 03:29 AM

Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   oldasdirt Icon

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

View Postnitro, on 04 December 2011 - 03:28 AM, said:

if he/she cannot host a server using the windows based graphical user interface what makes you think he/she can use a virtual server.

He/She is better off either not running an server or renting one from a server provider that does all the work for him/her

#7 User is offline   oldasdirt Icon

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

I rented a server and my site is up for play. I've set it up for Uptown only but can changenif necessary. COME ON AND PLAY. HELP MAKE THIS THE BEST SERVER. THANKS.

#8 User is offline   oldasdirt Icon

Post icon  Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

View Postoldasdirt, on 15 December 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

I rented a server and my site is up for play. I've set it up for Uptown only but can changenif necessary. COME ON AND PLAY. HELP MAKE THIS THE BEST SERVER. THANKS.

SORRY, THE NAME IS The Kick Ass Server.

This post has been edited by oldasdirt: 30 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942