Urban Terror Forums: Client can´t find FreeBSD Server on LAN - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Client can´t find FreeBSD Server on LAN Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   linda82nl Icon

• Account: linda82nl

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Hi.

I have got a FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE homeserver and wan´t to play UT on LAN. I followed the instructions on: http://mariusvw.com/...ots-on-freebsd/

I started the server with the start.sh script. It seems to be running, but I can not connect with a client. The server doesn´t show up in the list. I can see a lot of server from the Internet (internet) but not my server in (local).

However, I can connect to the UDP port 27960 with netcat from the Client. So it´s not an firewall issue.

I run tcpdump on the server to watch the traffic:
tcpdump -n -i xl0 'port 27960'

Then I start UT on the Client and refresh the Server list. But no traffic occures between Server and Client.

Maybe you can help me to solve this issue.

THX, Linda

This post has been edited by linda82nl: 12 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

#2 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Regardless of whether the server shows up in your list or not, can we first figure out if your client is able to connect to the server?

When you bring up the client, bring down the client's console ('~' key) and type "/connect A.B.C.D:27960" where "A.B.C.D" is the IP address of the server. Replace "27960" with a different port if the server is on another port.

See if that works first and tell us. Can you play OK?

BTW I've been running UrT servers on FreeBSD for almost 4 years now, but I deploy UrT "by hand" and not through ports. Ports should work too I guess.

This post has been edited by Rambetter: 12 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

#3 User is offline   linda82nl Icon

• Account: linda82nl

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

View PostRambetter, on 12 December 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

Regardless of whether the server shows up in your list or not, can we first figure out if your client is able to connect to the server?

When you bring up the client, bring down the client's console ('~' key) and type "/connect A.B.C.D:27960" where "A.B.C.D" is the IP address of the server. Replace "27960" with a different port if the server is on another port.

Hello Rambetter. Thank you for reply. Yes, I can connect to the server with "/connect A.B.C.D:27960" This works fine, I can join in the game. Bots are working :) The server still doesn´t appear in the list but this method is an acceptable workaround.

linda82nl

#4 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

View Postlinda82nl, on 13 December 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

Hello Rambetter. Thank you for reply. Yes, I can connect to the server with "/connect A.B.C.D:27960" This works fine, I can join in the game. Bots are working :) The server still doesn´t appear in the list but this method is an acceptable workaround.

linda82nl

I happened to be glancing at the iourbanterror port in FreeBSD a few days ago, and I seem to recall that they are using the current ioquake3 source code for the server binary.

What may be happening (why your server isn't showing up in the list) is that your game server may not be sending heartbeats to the master server(s). It could be that the current ioquake3 code works a bit differently and maybe you're required to add some argument when you launch the server to tell it to send heartbeats (I believe that argument is "dedicated" or something like that).

You may consider using my branch of the server code. More info is here: http://daffy.nerius.com/urtserver/ . This is the code that myself and many other people are using to run their UrT servers. The code will give you an updated ioUrTded executable that has some exploits fixed. (Even though I imagine that the ioquake3 that ports uses already has most exploits fixed, too.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942