Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mappers' updates, January 2005 Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_=BAND=Squad Leader

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:55 AM

All you mappers out there, it's time to hear what you're up to these days!

Here's where you post what you're working on with or without screenshots. More details about what this thread is can be found here: http://www.forums.ur...opic.php?t=3658

As I have announced, I am working on a new map, ut_mastermind. It will be the 2nd (to my knowledge) Urban Terror map set in space. The backstory is that you're on an evil mastermind's space station that he is using to destroy or capture all maps in the Urban Terror universe. I'm currently finishing up the texturing and playtesting it. I've gotta go back to school starting tomorrow, so progress will definitely slow. The goal is to release it before February. More information and screens can be found on the front page of www.ut.map-depot.com.

The other thing that I will undoubtedly be working on this month mapping wise is a new game mode for Urban Terror, if you can really call it that. It's more like a CTF variation. If all goes well and SID can meet my requirements to make it happen, I will hopefully have a couple maps ready for ETUT. More details about the game mode can be found here: http://www.forums.ur...opic.php?t=3661

So what are YOU workin' on?

#2 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: wilyduck

Posted 04 January 2005 - 07:50 AM

Ok, reposting from the original thread!

My entry for the funmap contest I'm holding:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Called ut_sled. Drop from the chopper, and slide down while fighting it out. Still a ways to go, but hopefully the map won't take very long.

#3 User is offline   MCinBigD (old) Icon

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:52 PM

I've just started porting ut_horror over to ETUT.

Things I'm planning on modifying:

+ sea cliff ... deciding if I should make cliff and ocean in play
- closing off windows and doors in order to improve frame rate
+ roughing up textures to darken the mood
+ new lighting, creepier
+ replacing brush furniture with models
+ adding terrorist items
+ redoing sounds
+ new "shout out" pictures in hallway
+ more cones
+ more easter eggs

pics here:

http://urtmapping.ac...topic.php?t=103

#4 Guest_=BAND=Squad Leader

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:32 AM

After evaluating my progress with Mastermind, I've decided to put all thoughts of a release on hold. Don't get me wrong, I feel very, very good about the map. I just don't feel that the map visually reflects what I had originally wanted for it. The layout will still undergo testing, and I really think it's solid.

I guess in a nutshell, the reason that I'm doing this is because I love this map and I don't want people to play it and say, "Wow, parts of this are really cool, but what if it was all like that?" I want people to be blown away by this map, and I think that the extra work will be worth it.

#5 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:25 AM

Nice MCinBigD! Suggestion for you... the cliff there, could you make it jagged rather than flat straight accross? I think that would help the visuals.

squadleader, that's cool, don't rush to get out that map. My thoughts to something like what you're doing is that there are a few things one can add to an environment that improve the whole of it many fold. Suttle changes make huge differences and much impact. Ok, so let's see some screenies! ;)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 Guest_=BAND=Squad Leader

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:49 AM

You can find screenshots at www.ut.map-depot.com, near the bottom of the front page.

That's definitely not what it's going to look like when I'm done with it though. :twisted:

The visual changes that I'm going to make will be more than subtle. Mua ha ha ha!

#7 User is offline   MCinBigD (old) Icon

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:09 PM

Wily,

For clarification ... make it more jagged along the X axis (across the back) or along the Z axis (sea to crest)?

MC

#8 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:40 PM

I was talking about the X axis, but some Z would probably help too. Actually, depending on the amount of time you wish to spend, you can probably do some wicked things with the cliff -- but get this -- in gameplay you would never see them. It would be astetic for screenies, lemmings, and adventures in noclip mode. People love that stuff cause it's seen somewhat as an easter egg.

I throught I saw screenies somewhere of mastermind, which I now remember without going over to map-depot.

I've got another screenshot of my map in action... here's me sliding backwards. You can see the helicopter I jumped out of way back there (screenies always come out dark for me):

http://fsk405.digita...ff/shot0419.jpg

#9 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:51 AM

Working on getting ut_crenshaw ported to ET. I am getting rid of the lighting scheme that so many people really didnt like and going to a more washed out version set at night time with a full moon to give it some mood but explain why its so well lit.

All the non-playable areas that I didnt spend any time on before are getting some much needed love, some of the items that were textured the same are getting dirtied up, and Im adding more landmarks and items to be used as cover. Im also modeling a lot of new items for the level like Cyclone fences, new cars (quiet ones) and lots of other cool objects.

Removing all annoying sounds from the level including the jumping car and all the music. Cleaning up some collision on all of the routes so that its clean for competition.

here are some shots of some preliminary lighting tests

http://www.s8s.info/...w_lighting1.jpg

http://www.s8s.info/...w_lighting2.jpg

#10 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:19 AM

Good to see you working on urt stuff again invis. :) About the new lighting in crenshaw, it seems pretty well lit for just having a full moon. Either way I thought crenshaw was underplayed so it's great you're giving it new life.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942