• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Recommend settings for low ping Rate Topic: -----

Can it negatively affect my game?

#1 User is offline   ivoniehe Icon

• Account: ivoniehe

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hi all,

I recently got a new internetz, 100mbit up and down. I share it with some other folks through a router (I'm connecting with a cable, not wireless), but most of the time the full bandwidth is available to me.

Now my question is: what settings can I put in my cfg to optimize UrT for this connection? My understanding of netcode and such is too limited to figure it out by myself so I hope someone else has had the same situation and found something nice. Usually my ping is somewhere between 0 and 20. Maybe it's just me being bad at admitting that I suck, but I sometimes get the feeling this isn't really an advantage. People with higher pings (and small green sawtooth patterns in their netgraph) seem to be harder to hit whereas I often seem to be a bullet magnet, where I'm dead before I even realize the first bullet of a salvo hit me. Is that even possible? I've been playing this game since version 1.27 or something, so I'm not a total noob that just needs to get used to UrT's quick pace.

Any tips or insight in to UrT's netcode are welcome. Thanks in advance!

#2 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

com_maxfps                        "125"
cl_maxpackets                     "42"
rate                              "25000"

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

#3 User is offline   ivoniehe Icon

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostObScUrE, on 23 April 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

com_maxfps                        "125"
cl_maxpackets                     "42"
rate                              "25000"

Thanks, but I already did that. Even set rate to 30000 although I don't know if that makes a difference.

#4 User is offline   0ms Icon

• Account: 0ms

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

com_maxfps "0"
cl_maxpackets "125"
rate "50000"

#5 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Maximum allowed values for urt 4.1 and 4.1.1

125fps
42pps
rate 25000

higher values will get ignored.

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   zup100 Icon

• Account: zup100

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:36 AM

ivoniehe,

I have special settings for you and I share with you and others what I've found over the years of gaming experience.

First you have to benchmark yourself, then you will know where is problem. My solution for benchmarking came from players asking me about parameters of my PC and mouse, config, etc...

What I've found for most of the time was that people who asked me about this, had better PC's and better newer mouses. So I was wondering why is that when I played with good players, they often accuse me of cheating and there was also players who asked me friendly about my settings. For the most of the time like I've said they had better cards PC's and internet connection.

The answer came when I experienced this phenomenon by myself and it was odd for me cause 98 percent of the time I play like a machine!

I started measuring and benchmarking my reaction time reflex. First I went to:

Reaction time section

and the fun began.

I've noticed that first I had very good reaction time, but this was not the case, cause I knew this from past experiences. The key was, when I played good I had very good reaction time AND, good feelings follow (good day, good meal, good humor, etc). So I measured reaction time in times when I feel bad, and compared, not only because of headache or something, but strict from negative experience from the day itself, so I was paying attention what I'm feeling emotionally, not totally about my PC's or internet connection. Cause this phenomenon was so strange that when I had worst connection on my friends wifi I played extremely good at the day when I was feeling good. In this day I benchmarked my connection by downloading something via Internet after I finished playing Urt and surprise was that I had 5kB/s download speed.

There was times where I had excellent connection quality and good download speed like 500kB/s (when I tested before playing Urt) simultaneously on the netgraph wasn't any of swimming sharks or even smaller fishes (totally come watter) and had worst skill and I was blaming others for cheating or was angry and frustrated, but there was no bad conditions to find (like broken PC or mouse, every was smooth) to blame for.

What I did and often do is, after or immediately when I catch myself doing this and having "bad skill", I go to measure my reaction time and in the 99 percent of time there it is! Oddly there is another condition. Last I had to clean my laptop cooling system, there was also broken mouse half year ago, but this was fast fix, I do this every 1 years (cleaning cooling system) so you see its this 99 percent time rule..

So, wise way to find which setting is good, is first benchmark your reaction time, then benchmark your fps on timedemo 1, and THEN go and change settings, and then mouse and PC's hardware.

Many players do it backwards and they often are disappointed cause they changed hardware, mouse, monitor, internet connection, had strong coffee and results are similar or slightly better, but almost never compared to the effort they've put.

So, there is my topic where I share about my fps and give custom demo with flashes, smokes and many playing players, also config is included:

My topic with demo

and there is the same link for benchmarking reflex:

Reflex benchmark

and there is my results in reflex benchmark:

My reaction time

#7 User is offline   ivoniehe Icon

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for that. I think it differs per server as well, some of them just aren't that good and seem to have more packet loss or something. In any case, I agree with you that how I'm feeling that day greatly influences my playing.
Lately I've been playing much better, something that I also attribute to quitting weed :D I still experience weird situations where my bullets will just go through opponents and they seem to hit me just fine, but I've come to the conclusion that I just need to play even better then. I don't play UrT enough to worry about it that much and tweak my whole system for it, so if I'm playing like shit I tend to just go do something else to avoid frustration.

GG

#8 User is offline   Harou Icon

• Account: harou

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

wow I didn't know that maxpackets max was 42. I was trying to use 100. Why is it capped at 42 and not 100? I'm pretty used to running 100 in ET :). Maybe UrT is afraid of packet toggle scripts? So they don't want to allow much range in the possible maxpackets??

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942