Urban Terror Forums: Mirroring the Urban Terror downloader - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mirroring the Urban Terror downloader Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   trog Icon

• Account: trog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Hi, We've been mirrors of this since the first version of the Quake 3 mod (and I have been a massive fan since then). We have "shipped" tens of thousands of downloads of the Urban Terror mod and standalone game to Australians (and others all around the world).

We'd love to mirror the new 4.2 version to help Australians get into the game, but I note it has a new downloader-style system. Unfortunately this makes it a little harder for Aussies to get - many are on limited bandwidth plans and non-local mirrors can count towards their download quota.

If we can mirror a full version of the game - even if it is just a .zip - that would go some way into helping us make sure the game is accessible to as many Aussies as possible.

We're also keen to run servers and I can state confidently that it is a lot easier for us as server admins to simply be able to download a server package from a mirror than dick around with some updater to get it to work.

For example, in its current state, the Linux updater thing simply fails to run on my test system with a Qt-related error. We don't have time to mess around with it which means we're less likely to run servers.

Conversely, a basic .zip file with the server components that I can download - either from this site or a mirror - means I can have a server online literally seconds after the download has finished.

I am of the strong belief that making the game more accessible - and by that I mean having "traditional" mirrors as well as the new updater system. We're happy to help mirror Urban Terror; we can absorb significant chunks of the bandwidth costs in distributing it and we can also put it in front of tens of thousands of Australian gamers.

I personally /love/ this game and would go to extreme lengths to try to get more people playing it - so if we could get a standalone full version to be mirrored that would be great.

#3 User is offline   trog Icon

• Account: trog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 07 August 2012 - 05:25 AM, said:

Hi Trog

Please make your mirror offer to our e-mail address contact@urbanterror.info and we will see what we can do for you.

I shot through an email to there yesterday (substantially similar to what I wrote above). Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942