Urban Terror Forums: r_gamma useless with linux using open source drivers - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

r_gamma useless with linux using open source drivers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   quit Icon

• Account: quit

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Hi,

r_gamma has no effect in 4.2 when using the mesa open source drivers. This happens both on mesa 8.0.4 (latest stable drivers) and mesa from git master. The actual driver is r600g -- that is, the Radeon HD driver -- but r_gamma is also unusable with software rendering. It *could* be a driver bug; please let me know if you think it is, I'll open a bug report in the appropriate bugzilla.

Since gamma tweaking is fundamental for decent gameplay (I have a hard time spotting blue players in eagle and reds in casa otherwise), I'd love if it was fixed in one of the next updates. And no, I can't change the overall display brightness on this laptop.

Same issue in 4.1.1 and earlier, but it still affects the new release so I guess I'd do people a favor to report it.

Cheers.

#2 User is offline   Rylius Icon

• Account: rylius
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

Since I suppose you're running Linux: You can't change r_gamma in windowed mode. Switching to fullscreen *should* fix it. Otherwise, you can wrap the executable in a script that increases system gamma. Something like this:
xgamma -gamma 2
./Quake3-UrT.i386
xgamma -gamma 1

AMD drivers are generally crap, so don't be surprised if nothing of that works. :)

#3 User is offline   lebbra Icon

• Account: lebbra
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

I "solved" the problem simply switching out and in again from UrT, using ALT+TAB
aka Dead f.S. - aka |CoN|-=V0l3ur=-, Playing UrT from 2001 - RedCap bot Developer

[img]http://www.dead.it/UrT/logop.png[/img]

#4 User is offline   quit Icon

• Account: quit

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostRylius, on 08 August 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Since I suppose you're running Linux: You can't change r_gamma in windowed mode. Switching to fullscreen *should* fix it. Otherwise, you can wrap the executable in a script that increases system gamma. Something like this:
xgamma -gamma 2
./Quake3-UrT.i386
xgamma -gamma 1

AMD drivers are generally crap, so don't be surprised if nothing of that works. :)

Nice workaround, I'll stick to it till the bug is fixed. Thanks :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942