• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How about just opening it? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   DeMS Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: dems

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:14 AM

@Pirat :

The reason they're source-closing everything is because they're trying to develop an anticheat.

You just can't fight cheats/cheaters on an open-source game. Every time you block one vulnerability, they will end up exploiting five more.

Of course that also happens on closed-source environments, no doubt about it, but at least the cheat coders don't have all the code and documentation to see where they might inject the malicious code. In those cases, being obfuscative pays off.

@OP :

I am imagining that they will add functions to the updater as times go by, and might end up being used as a launcher (Play game - Update game - Uninstall), probably, if/when the time comes, it will also serve as an anticheat updater, and maybe it could be used to configure your game from a comfortable menu instead of using the console (Play game - Update game - Update anticheat software - Advanced options - Uninstall).

However, it is just what my expectations are ;)

(And, as such, they are not based on anything tangible).

#12 User is offline   strata Icon

• Account: strata

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostDeMS, on 15 August 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

@Pirat :

The reason they're source-closing everything is because they're trying to develop an anticheat.

You just can't fight cheats/cheaters on an open-source game. Every time you block one vulnerability, they will end up exploiting five more.

Of course that also happens on closed-source environments, no doubt about it, but at least the cheat coders don't have all the code and documentation to see where they might inject the malicious code. In those cases, being obfuscative pays off.

@OP :

I am imagining that they will add functions to the updater as times go by, and might end up being used as a launcher (Play game - Update game - Uninstall), probably, if/when the time comes, it will also serve as an anticheat updater, and maybe it could be used to configure your game from a comfortable menu instead of using the console (Play game - Update game - Update anticheat software - Advanced options - Uninstall).

However, it is just what my expectations are ;)

(And, as such, they are not based on anything tangible).

@pirat: I think we're getting a little too far off topic here. We shouldn't get all worked up over what FS chooses to do with the game code. The updater should be FOSS and we should try to get an answer from FS as to what they think about this. So if anyone from FS *cough* Barbatos is reading this, please tell us your rationale for why/why not you will make the updater FOSS.

@DeMS: cheaters will cheat.

#14 User is offline   attackxie Icon

• Account: attackxie

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

are you still insisting that closing the src and using a code-base from 1999 will make you impervious to hackers and let you write a effective anti cheat LOLNO EA with there billion dollar budget and full backing of evenbalence/punkbuster can't even do that .... you are wasting your time closing the code does NOT make it more secure we have access to all the reference code one would ever need to write hacks unless you plan on totally rewriting massive portions of the engine you are sol
as for the updater I see no need at all to open src it one could easily write a better one in under a day its just some script-fu on a gui ..

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 17 August 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

Me write an AC yeah right but if you want an UZI I'm your man.

ok then, I WANT AN UZI, pretty please? :laugh:
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942