• You cannot reply to this topic

Mountain Lion and UrT Rate Topic: -----

several bugs

#1 User is offline   BBQ Icon

• Account: bbq
  • Main tag: =(B@R)=

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

first of all last month (july, so I had 4.1 installed) I upgraded my MBP (last release before Retina) to Mountain Lion and got a new problem: map loading is now awfully slow, when I enter the game other players are online since one or two minutes..

then I upgraded to 4.2 and this issue remains the same..

moreover I cannot start the local server, when I try it exit to the desktop showing the Quake3-UrT app "not responding".

lastly, on a remote server (where I have rcon access) I tried to change to ut4_thingley map.. well, I wasn't able to load it from my client.. after 5 minutes loading arrived to "awaiting snapshot" and then frozed

not mentioning a long (known, i suppose) list of issues:

1) random mouse problems
2) autoexec difficulty to execute some commands (I had to copy in several points of it the commands to seth auth_key and rconpassword to be sure to have them correctly executed)
3) from full screen I try to TAB to other app or desktop but I'm not able to come back to game
4) running in window does'nt allow me to properly move the window .. it goes where it wants and I have to restart the game..

hope in some fixes.. thanks a lot!

MBP 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
OS X 10.8 (12A269)

#2 User is offline   schnork Icon

• Account: schnork
  • Main tag: [exp]

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

lastly, on a remote server (where I have rcon access) I tried to change to ut4_thingley map.. well, I wasn't able to load it from my client.. after 5 minutes loading arrived to "awaiting snapshot" and then frozed

I have the same problem right now. I run 4.2 on Snow Leopard and everything appeared (except some fps issues) to be fine until one day some maps wouldn't load anymore.
The performance of UrT 4.2 on my MacBook seems to be too bad to load some maps fast enough. I would time out before the map is completely loaded, which results in a frozen screen at the end of the loading screen.
(I know the timeout time is a server setting)

If someone has some tips to improve the performance of 4.2 on a mac he would be very welcome! I already put all texture/graphics settings to minimum. But that didn't really change anything.
If someone of the dev team could have a look on this it would be really appreciated.

Processor: 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 4 Gb 1067 MHz DDR3

#3 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:37 AM

hello,

read your post schnork and i am not a mac expert but to me this does not sound like a pure performance issue,

taking into account you were able to run 4.2 "properly" .. or as good as it gets on a mac

few questions though ...

- does the loading time correlate with the size of the map .. hence bigger map means slower loading?

- do you have a lot of custom maps in your q4ut4 folder? if so move those to a separate folder or to the desktop and see what happens..

- same goes for the amount of demos in your demo folder .. many demos?

- did you do a clean 4.2.10 installation as recommended?

- do you use a 4.1. cfg or did you adopt the 4.2 cfg?

- any programs running in the background when starting urt?

- any other computers logged on to your network while playing the game? (i noticed having my macbook using wlan while i am playing on a wired connection on my imac causes an odd/no hits situation, could come into play here as well)

cheers

karl

p.s. as for performance boosts, this guide applies to 4.2. as well: http://dailynade.com...gh-cvar-tweaks/
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#4 User is offline   schnork Icon

• Account: schnork
  • Main tag: [exp]

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hi :)

- does the loading time correlate with the size of the map .. hence bigger map means slower loading?

I think that it does - although I am not sure about it. The problem occurs randomly; especially on big custom maps like equilibrium or bstjumps. But also standard maps are loading slowly: e.g when I play a pcw and the map changes I would be the last one to join the second map.

- do you have a lot of custom maps in your q4ut4 folder? if so move those to a separate folder or to the desktop and see what happens..

I know that this is often a problem with mac, so I did consider it as a problem and I deleted the biggest files in my q3ut4 folder (some maps and videos).
It didn't change anything. I didn't try to remove (all) of my custom maps though.

- did you do a clean 4.2.10 installation as recommended?

Since the updater didn't work properly for me, I had downloaded a fullzip after 4.2.011, so that should be fine.

- do you use a 4.1. cfg or did you adopt the 4.2 cfg?

First I did adopt the cfg, but then made a new one from scratch because I had some other issues.

- any programs running in the background when starting urt?

Yes, usually Skype, iTunes etc… I closed them to check how much it affects the performance. But it didn't have a major effect.

- any other computers logged on to your network while playing the game? (i noticed having my macbook using wlan while i am playing on a wired connection on my imac causes an odd/no hits situation, could come into play here as well)

Yes, there are (often) others connected to my network - unfortunately I can't do anything about that.

I personally think the reason for the problem is that the macbook gets too hot. That seems to be a major problem in general with UrT on a MacBook. It caused weird graphic issues for me before.

Thanks for answering :)

This post has been edited by schnork: 01 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942