Urban Terror Forums: Urban Terror 4.2 Beta Not in the Linux Repositories - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror 4.2 Beta Not in the Linux Repositories Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   moronicacid Icon

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:01 AM

I have noticed that 4.2 isn't in the Linux repositories, yet. I am running Fedora 17 32-bit, so the downloads don't work for me.

#2 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

Uhm. Maybe it's an issue for Fedora packagers?

Why can't you use our downloader? No root access is required to install Urban Terror 4.2

#3 User is offline   ItsMe Icon

• Account: itsme
  • Main tag: bc`

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostMajkiFajki, on 25 August 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

UrT is in the Fedora Repos just not 4.2. The Release of 4.2 is what? 2 Weeks ago? What do you think are the guys at Red Hat doing? Waiting for any update of a game in the Repos and implement that?

Why can't you use our downloader? No root access is required to install Urban Terror 4.2

Simple answer: because that's what packet managers (like yum and apt) and repositories are for.
I do a
yum install foo bar
or
yum update
and all will be done well (dependency hell anyone?). I (maybe other Linux users to ;)) simply do not want use your updater - btw, it does not even have a progress bar...

--
ItsMe

#4 User is offline   lebbra Icon

• Account: lebbra
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

I prefer not use repos for UrT. install is very easy and Iprefer to decide where and how install it on my Archbox.

This post has been edited by lebbra: 26 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

aka Dead f.S. - aka |CoN|-=V0l3ur=-, Playing UrT from 2001 - RedCap bot Developer

[img]http://www.dead.it/UrT/logop.png[/img]

#5 User is offline   artemz Icon

• Account: artemz

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostMajkiFajki, on 25 August 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Why can't you create just a normal binary and/or distro specific packages instead of forcing us to use your ugly and buggy UrTUpdater? There are already repositories and package management software in Linux and it works 100 times better than UrTUpdater, so please, just share binaries and other game data, repo maintainers will take care of it

#6 User is offline   matt Icon

• Account: matt

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

Can UrTUpdater be configured to only download the Freeware game files? Then we can simply package ioUrbantTerror which has to be open source with the sources released (otherwise it is a GPL violation) and create a separate UrbanTerror-data dummy package which just includes and triggers a download using curl/wget or UrTUpdater (if it is freely licensed) like flash player is often packaged.

#7 User is offline   matt Icon

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Edit: My RPM is not available anymore for Fedora/Mandriva.

This post has been edited by matt: 20 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

#8 User is offline   captainblackjack Icon

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

View Postartemz, on 30 August 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Why can't you create just a normal binary and/or distro specific packages instead of forcing us to use your ugly and buggy UrTUpdater? There are already repositories and package management software in Linux and it works 100 times better than UrTUpdater, so please, just share binaries and other game data, repo maintainers will take care of it

I second that!

The pre-4.2 UT source packages worked all OK, no matter the distro, just had to execute the proper binary. This looks like another case of messing things up by "doing it fancy". The QT-based updater for Linux has problems, or perhaps it's just QT (a bug magnet), but still it is not needed.

I assume that perhaps the UT is doing that over security concerns for corrupted packages. But there are much simpler ways to deal with that (like checksums, captchas and stuff). Furthermore, what tells us that the UtUpdater won't be installing corrupt packages itself?

Just release the source binaries, please...

#9 User is offline   matt Icon

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

View Postcaptainblackjack, on 20 October 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

Just release the source binaries, please...

That is an oxymoron...

Anyway they have more or less. https://github.com/B...r-UrbanTerror-4 is where they store their source code. It is however not properly tagged https://github.com/B...rror-4/issues/9 You need to guess the revision from the release date. You can also download the game files manually http://cdn.urbanterr...ut4_commune.pk3 This is very inconvenient. Search for the spec files at https://build.opensu...ext=urbanterror as they try to automatize this. You can reuse it to build packages for your distribution or do it like Gentoo http://gpo.zugaina.o...fps/urbanterror who use third-party archives of everything.

This post has been edited by matt: 20 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

#10 User is offline   ItsMe Icon

• Account: itsme
  • Main tag: bc`

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

4.2 (only sadly) is availible in Fedora via yum:

yum install urbanterror
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package urbanterror.i686 0:4.2.009-1.1 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: urbanterror-data = 4.2.009 for package: urbanterror-4.2.009-1.1.i686
--> Running transaction check
---> Package urbanterror-data.noarch 0:4.2.009-1.1 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                                         Arch                                                  Version                                                    Repository                                            Size
=============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 urbanterror                                                     i686                                                  4.2.009-1.1                                                games                                                845 k
Installing for dependencies:
 urbanterror-data                                                noarch                                                4.2.009-1.1                                                games                                                1.2 G

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package (+1 Dependent package)

Total download size: 1.2 G
Installed size: 1.2 G
Is this ok [y/N]: 

lsb_release -ir
Distributor ID:	Fedora
Release:	17

This post has been edited by ItsMe: 01 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942