• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

question about engine Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lebbra Icon

• Account: lebbra
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

First of all I have no idea if what below is possible or not, but I heared that some other engines do that...

Do you think it could be possible (I mean reasonably easy) to modify Urt engine in order to not give back information to the client about players that are behind walls? If 'I'm not wrong player position are managed by the server, so it could calculate if player is visible or not.

This modification should make wallhack useless.

aka Dead f.S. - aka |CoN|-=V0l3ur=-, Playing UrT from 2001 - RedCap bot Developer

[img]http://www.dead.it/UrT/logop.png[/img]

#2 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postlebbra, on 05 September 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

First of all I have no idea if what below is possible or not, but I heared that some other engines do that...

Do you think it could be possible (I mean reasonably easy) to modify Urt engine in order to not give back information to the client about players that are behind walls? If 'I'm not wrong player position are managed by the server, so it could calculate if player is visible or not.

This modification should make wallhack useless.

This is already known by the dev team, and I believe its addressed in some experimental code 27 worked on, which I *think* it will probably work its way in to HD. (but not 4.x cause of engine changes, licensing and q3 compat bs)

^^ Maybe I was taking too much acid and dreamed the whole thing, but I swear I remember a convo with 27 about that one time....

PS: was actually not the goal, the goal was to increase render-er efficiency, which it did.

This post has been edited by slackin: 05 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

[img]http://i188.photobuc...n35/urt/sig.jpg[/img]
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------
All normal mapped(bump mapped) and specular mapped .|^|.
Just a few of many, and more to come.
----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

#4 User is offline   slackin Icon

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

View PostMr.Yeah, on 08 September 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

hmm what kind of "information" are you talking about?
When I hear footstep/breathing from a player behind a wall I don't think it could be considered as wallhack...

renderer information

#5 User is offline   Tranc3r Icon

• Account: tranc3r

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

As long as r_shownormals isn't effected by it, I think it's a great idea. But the knowledge of footsteps and breathing behind places that you can not see is important. However, I'm sure that the hacker developers for the game will use the sound aspect of the game to show where the player could be behind the wall (and I suppose it would only work when you hear sound and at the same time wouldn't know where a player is on the other side of eagle!!!)
- Bass in yo' face!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Divinity Icon

• Account: divinity
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

You either have the information for r_shownormals to work or you don't. It's my understanding that the same info for shownormals is what wall hacks use. Similarly, I think you lose directional sound cues too if you drop this info from the client.

So could it be done? I think the answer is yes, but I think a huge aspect of the game is lost.

#7 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

You know sometimes when you run round a corner quickly and its takes a noticeable amount of time for the other players to appear who are around the corner? Imagine that every time a player comes into view; that's the price you would have to pay for something like this. Is it a price worth paying? Is it better to make the game much worse for all players in a vain attempt to curb cheating?

#8 User is offline   lebbra Icon

• Account: lebbra
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

AFAIK, Xonotic engine do it. And I never see such a behaviour...
aka Dead f.S. - aka |CoN|-=V0l3ur=-, Playing UrT from 2001 - RedCap bot Developer

[img]http://www.dead.it/UrT/logop.png[/img]

#9 User is offline   slackin Icon

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostNulL, on 13 September 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

You know sometimes when you run round a corner quickly and its takes a noticeable amount of time for the other players to appear who are around the corner? Imagine that every time a player comes into view; that's the price you would have to pay for something like this. Is it a price worth paying? Is it better to make the game much worse for all players in a vain attempt to curb cheating?

Very valid point about that. Would have to weigh the times and depth at various rendering loads to tune it better. Not impossible but a ton of work, not very realistic.

#10 User is offline   Tranc3r Icon

• Account: tranc3r

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostNulL, on 13 September 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

Omg, I hate it when this happens!!!
- Bass in yo' face!

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942