Urban Terror Forums: Package This - Don't Make A Custom Updater - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Package This - Don't Make A Custom Updater Rate Topic: -----

Suggestion

#1 User is offline   dritominous Icon

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

After all of the problems with the updater, myself and many others can't even play UT anymore.

So, I HIGHLY suggest that the Urban Terror team starts making distro specific packages, like .deb files, for UT.

1. It's more stable

2. It's standard

3. UT will reach more people when you actually put it into the repos.

Anyone else agree? Opposed?

Please discuss this.

This post has been edited by dritominous: 05 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

#2 User is offline   Aoleu Icon

• Account: aoleu

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I saw a lot of hate on the forums about this updater, but why? what kind of problems this updater creates that you can't even play UT anymore?

I am on Ubuntu 12.04 and using closed source drivers from AMD(for performance reasons), and beside the official problems posted by FS about their updater, I never encountered any issue with it.

I personally like the idea of an updater, if there is a new content I hit update and everything is up to date, and the game updates itself in the folder witch I specified not through my entire system. The updater creates the oportunity for developers to be able to bring new content over night and I think that the players will be more pleased to update their game through an updater then to --uninstall curent version, download a new version then install the new version -- everytime time when there apears a new content small or big.

If you don't like the updater because of bugs, then why not demand from FS to deal with those bugs(which they do).
If you don't like the updater because of some sort of personal preference, why? I personaly like it.

I don't know why is there so much hate towards this updater like it's some kind of broken concept?

#3 User is offline   dritominous Icon

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

I see your point about the fast updates. Conceptually, the updater is a sound solution. It's just that it's so buggy!

I mean, this sort of thing should just work!

I don't know, I'm probably just being a frustrated prick.

This post has been edited by dritominous: 06 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

#5 User is offline   dritominous Icon

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

That's good news, and thanks for the response!

BTW, nice work with ioq3. (Saw your GitHub profile)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942