Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

my feedback on updater for 4.2.010 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

Here are feedback notes I made while installing 4.2.010 with the updater. These are pretty much my raw notes of my experience and also my suggestions about improving it.

- It would be better if the windows download was an exe installer, and it suggested an install location and allowed you to change that to a custom install location and then after installation, it launched the updater. I'm pretty sure there is a free to use installer like that on sourceforge, I forget what it's called. But yeah, that would polish this nicely.

(I actually know people who chose to open the updater instead of saving it first, and that made it download the game to the windows temp folder where it was automatically deleted.)

- I was doing a clean install, and it says
"The UrTUpdater is about to download all the required files to update your copy of Urban Terror.
Please click on "Update" to continue with updating your game. "

and it has buttons Quit and Download. I find this confusing and a little scary because it hasn't asked me where I want to download (or install?) the game, so I'm thinking what is it doing? Is it updating some current version of Urt that I have on my computer? And if so which one, (where is the file path etc). I am trying to do a clean install, not update any existing copy of urt.

- A 'total progress' bar would be nice, below the per file one. Even if it didn't scale with what the individual file downloads were doing, and was just a basic visual representation of the "5/27", 6/27, etc.

- I went away from my computer since the download was taking a while, and when I came back it just says "The UrTUpdater is about to download all the required files to update your copy of the Urban Terror game engine Quake3-UrT.
Please click on "Update" to continue with updating your game engine.

Note: We only offer official support for Quake3-UrT. However, you are not required to use the FrozenSand game engine. There are many other engines available like Quake3.

For source files visit: https://github.com/B...3-UrbanTerror-4 "

with quit and update buttons.

It would be nice if it had some kind of log or confirmation, so, I could see maybe the history like:
downloading pak003.pk3 ... complete
downloading pak004.pk4 ... complete
Finished updating!

Or, just a basic confirmation on the screen "Update complete". Because how it is now you can't tell what happened, and if anything it looks like the update maybe failed, because it says in bold "Please click on "Update" to continue with updating your game engine."

Now that I think of it, I'm guessing that what it has done is completed downloading the mod files and now it wants to download the engine. The problem then is with the wording "continue with updating your game engine" implies that I was previously updating the game engine and have to click to *continue* updating it. When I'm guessing what it means is click on Update to continue and when you do it will download the game engine.

My suggestion is to have "Stages". So it will say Stage 1/2 updating mod files, Stage 2/2 updating engine files. Something like that.

- It failed, it says Download checksum error, the downloaded file is corrupted. Please check your internet connection and launch again the updater. You can ask for help on the official website etc
OK

Would be nice if it just did this on its own, like it did the checksum, and failed quietly (possibly with some little message on the screen same as the Downloading Quake3-Urt.app.zip etc, and then it re-downloaded what it needed to.

So say, after Downloading: Filename ( #/#) it then says Verifying files, error etc, re-downloading file, till it's done. Because this kinda like 'crashes out' after you hit Ok. A Retry button would even be an improvement if you couldn't do the automatic thing i just suggested yet.

Ah worse yet, then when i run the updater again, it just says my urt is up to date Have fun!, and the only option is to Quit or Play. So I'm boned. Unless the corrupt files aren't needed? like maybe they are for mac or something? Even so, its entirely disconcerting to the end user to see that the download definitely didn't complete, and errored out. Even if you can hit Play now (which I can, and the game works), you're going to worry that your game is partially corrupted and might cause you some run-time problem some day.

#2 User is offline   authisaterribleidea Icon

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

updater doesn't correct corrupt files either you need to go in and manually delete the offending file I had it throw errors with 4.2.9 4.2.10 and 4.2.11 updater is fubar

the updater continuously fails to function correctly I wish they would just scrub it and just package urt as a installer if they feel they need to cater to the people that can't extract a zipfile

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942