Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Map limitations? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ArgusMagnus Icon

• Account: argusmagnus

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

I recently started thinking about a tool I may develop which would extract Minecraft worlds and save them as map-files, which could be edited in GTKRadiant and compiled into UrT maps. After looking at the format minecraft stores its worlds and some map-files, i think this would not even be that hard to do. But before I start wasting time on this, I need to know if it's worth it.

Namely Im worried about Brush- and Face-count limitations. Minecraft worlds tend to be made out of a lot of blocks. Each block would be represented by at least one brush with at least 6 faces.
In this thread I read that the limit for faces is 65'535 and the limit for brushes 32'768. That thread is quite old though.

So these are my questions:
- Is this information still correct/up-to-date?
- Do hidden brushes/faces (e.g. a brush which is complete surrounded by non-transparent, solid-brushes) count towards the limit?
- Do caulked faces count towards the limit?

If someone knows a better place to ask these questions, please tell me :)
Experimental Map Manager for Urban Terror and other Quake 3 based games: ArgUrTMapManager
Fractal Image Calculator: Fraktalysator

#2 User is offline   jackieben Icon

• Account: jackieben

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Nice idea!

Minecraft map-files are getting bigger and bigger as you explore the level, as it only generates various places if you visit them, afaik

So first you need to know how many blocks worth of area can you convert at least semi-accurately, then give your converter an input of which region you want to convert, or better, make it conver the world around the player's last location, so that you only need to walk into the center of the are you want converted

#3 User is offline   ArgusMagnus Icon

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, but the problem is, I need to know, how much brushes/faces the map compiler (q3map2) can handle. No point in converting an area of 200x200 blocks (=40'000 blocks) into a .map-file, if the compiler can only handle ca. 65'000 faces, which would be about 100x100 (=10'000) blocks...
Experimental Map Manager for Urban Terror and other Quake 3 based games: ArgUrTMapManager

#4 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

Bare in mind that a lot of block faces wont be visible, also directly converting mc blocks to brushes isn't a good idea, you should be converting contiguous blocks of the same type into a single brush.

#5 User is offline   ArgusMagnus Icon

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

I found the q3map2 support forum and asked my question there (hoping to get an answer, dont know how active people are there). Some information I found suggests that caulked faces are not calculated at all. So one of my questions appears to be answered :)

@Null: You are right, from the mappper perspective its not the best idea to have one brush for one block, but converting contiguous blocks of the same type into one brush also has draw backs, mainly it conflicts with some ideas I had and features I wanted to implement.. so I dont know what im going to do yet.. If the brush limit is not a problem and invisible faces are caulked, it should not be a problem to have one brush for one block, right?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Well you only get 256 brush based entities per map, so don't even think about making all your blocks individually breakable.

#7 User is offline   ArgusMagnus Icon

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

thanks for the info, I was wondering about that limit too. But I wasnt thinking about making the blocks breakable.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942