Urban Terror Forums: [solved] Crash on startup (win7 nvidia go 7400 conextant hd audio HP laptop) - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[solved] Crash on startup (win7 nvidia go 7400 conextant hd audio HP laptop) Rate Topic: -----

seta s_khz "11"

#1 User is offline   Nstar Icon

• Account: nstar
  • Main tag: [COD]

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hi all,
I'm having some really annoying issue with my UrT now that I've switched to win7.
Seems like every day, I go to start UrT, and it completely hangs at the starting menu.
Then, I delete q3config, and it works fine... but then I have to reset all my settings...
That's the annoying part.
What I can't figure out though, is why some setting would crash the game on start, but would be fine otherwise. Also, it works fine if i keep opening and closing, usually it's the next morning when I have to delete the config and start over... so once per day.
I have noticed one thing, coming from linux to win7, that .cfg files are all missing line breaks. Could it be something like that? In linux, the q3config file had each cvar on a separate line. In win7, they are all one continuous string. I'm assuming that is the problem, but I have no idea how to fix such a thing. Google hasn't been kind in that regard either.
So... has anyone else experienced this problem?

This post has been edited by xoai: 16 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

#2 User is offline   Nstar Icon

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

update:

there seems to be some form of delimitation between each "line" on the config...
that is, there is a phantom extra arrow press needed to get past the end of the last and start of the next... hard to explain... basically it's like:
bind a "+left"{2 arrow strikes here}bind b "dostuff" (even though there is no space between " and bind)
I'm trying to manually add carriage returns and hoping that they are persistent and that this solves my problem. I doubt it, as urt will write that file each time it runs, i assume. well anyway, fingers crossed

#3 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

View Postxoai, on 15 November 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

I have noticed one thing, coming from linux to win7, that .cfg files are all missing line breaks. Could it be something like that? In linux, the q3config file had each cvar on a separate line. In win7, they are all one continuous string.

You’re seeing this because Notepad still doesn’t recognize Unix newlines (LF; Windows uses CR LF pairs). It’s perfectly normal (and you should get some better editor anyway, Notepad++ is a good choice).

No idea what might cause your problem though.
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#4 User is offline   Nstar Icon

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

UPDATE:

So, I tried copy/pasting the info from q3config into my autostart.cfg, then deleting the q3config and starting UrT.
Frozen at menu once again...
Then, I deleted q3config and used my older, much smaller autostart, and it worked...
So, I guess it's the very long, make me want to jump out the window, process of adding cvars one at a time to the autostart until i find out which is causing this... hopefully it isn't something that will be written to q3config every time the game starts or something like that... I guess I will have to make some simple script that deletes my q3config every time I start UrT... bleh!!

Anyway, I will continue to update as things proceed.

#5 User is offline   Nstar Icon

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

so, I finally whittled it down and caught the culprit...
seta s_khz "11"

I don't know why, but setting my sound to 11 khz makes the game freeze on start. Hopefully if someone else experiences this, it can help them.

Also to note, for devs... If I put the following block into my autostart.cfg, i get openGL error.
seta r_detailtextures "0"
seta r_roundImagesDown "1"
seta r_colorMipLevels "0"
seta r_stereo "1"
seta cg_brassTime "0"
seta cg_marks "0"
seta r_mapoverbrightbits "0"
seta r_overbrightbits "0"
seta r_ext_compressed_textures "0"
seta r_texturemode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
seta r_texturebits "0"
seta r_colorbits "0"
seta r_swapinterval "0"
seta r_picmip "2"

I haven't bothered to figure out which one(s) cause(es) it, because not having them in the autostart fixes it, even though it's of course in the q3config file... whatever :P

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nstar Icon

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostJRandomNoob, on 15 November 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

You’re seeing this because Notepad still doesn’t recognize Unix newlines (LF; Windows uses CR LF pairs). It’s perfectly normal (and you should get some better editor anyway, Notepad++ is a good choice).

No idea what might cause your problem though.

notepad ++ is pretty cool, but it's no scite :P
thanks for that though, made my life much better :D

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942