Urban Terror Forums: Download functionality vs instructions - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Download functionality vs instructions Rate Topic: -----

Problem with the download page

#1 User is offline   sleepernew Icon

• Account: sleepernew

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

When I go to the download page at: http://www.urbanterror.info/downloads/

We see this under "Install"
-------------------------------------------
Download the compressed file of your choice below, and simply extract the UrbanTerror42 folder to where you want.

Then run the UrTUpdater, follow the instructions on screen and you should be downloading the latest version of Urban Terror 4.2 !

The UrTUpdater can do two things:

1 Install a fresh copy of Urban Terror 4.2 .
2 Keep your Urban Terror 4.2 updated.
--------------------------------------------

So, the instructions say, "Down the compressed file" of my choice?? And then extract the Urban Terror folder where I want it. And use the UrTUpdater which can Install a fresh copy and Keep my URT install updated.

Well, that's great and all, except the UrtUpdater doesn't seem to do that. The original Windows Zip file comes with 5 files. 4 of them are QT related dlls and the fifth is the UrtUpdater.exe.
If I run the UrtUpdater, it creates a q3ut4 directory, downloads a bunch of pk3 files, a cfg, some txt files, but no exe.

This means, if I follow the instructions, I have just downloaded about 5 GB of files... and I can't play the game. Searching around, I believe most of the forum entries say, "Download the full install first, then it should work." So doing that now, and will have to download another 1.6 GB. Hmmmm.

Solution:

1) Fix the text on the download page to give clear concise instructions:

a) Download the full game
b) Unzip to folder
c) Run UrtUpdater

or

2) Fix the updater to download the executables for UrbanTerror

or

3) Include the executables in the .zip file

or

4) Do all of the above

This post has been edited by sleepernew: 17 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

#2 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Updater downloads the game in two stages: first PK3s and some related files (CFGs, readme), and then it will ask you whether you want to also download the executables. At least that’s how it’s supposed to work. If this doesn’t happen, you should run the updater again (it will check all the existing files first).

I just checked whether the updater has been updated, nope, still the same version a rather large number of people have been using with no prowithout that specific problem you’ve encountered.
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#3 User is offline   sneakers Icon

• Account: sneakers

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

View Postsleepernew, on 17 November 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

1) Fix the text on the download page to give clear concise instructions:

a) Download the full game
b) Unzip to folder
c) Run UrtUpdater

No that is wrong. First step = download the updater, second step = extract the updater to a folder, third step = execute the updater. Also, for more reading, try the game manual's Install section: http://www.urbanterr...rt/193-install/

2) Fix the updater to download the executables for UrbanTerror

It does download this already. Try re-running the Updater if they did not download the first time. The MD5 checksum section shows the list of all the files that are downloaded by the Updater or from the Full Zip. As an alternative to the Updater, you may choose to download the Full Zip of the game

3) Include the executables in the .zip file

See above^

#4 User is offline   Reflux Icon

•   gameserver owner   
  • Account: reflux
  • Main tag: FSK405|

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

This means, if I follow the instructions, I have just downloaded about 5 GB of files... and I can't play the game. Searching around, I believe most of the forum entries say, "Download the full install first, then it should work." So doing that now, and will have to download another 1.6 GB. Hmmmm.

7.6GB? Really? WOW! Mine came with no pr0n at all. Count yourself lucky, I only got 1.54 GB of zPaks and another 21MB of exies and libs. WTF?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942