Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Portable integrated graphics Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pollofeliz Icon

• Account: pollofeliz

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Are integrated graphics on the portables good enough to run URT 4.2 in 1080p resolution on busy maps these days? I am looking at portables with the new Intel Haswell I5-4200U CPU with HD Graphics 4400. What about AMD's integrated graphics?
3AKOH
(usually)

#2 User is offline   pollofeliz Icon

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:48 AM

One day passed and no one replied? You guys should get your geek on.

Anyways, I have done more research on laptops with integrated graphics. It seems like AMD's A10 processor is probably a better value if you have to buy a laptop with integrated-only graphics. There is a test study shows that A10's graphics give you like 50-90% more FPS than Intel i7 with HD4000/HD4400 graphics, depending on game, which is really impressive because A10 is a budget processor. The benchmarks do show that for non-game applications, A10's performance is more like Intel's i3 processor (who cares? I am happy with a 3-year old Arrandale i3-330M in my notebook). The only problem with AMD portables is that for the most part only crappy brands use it, and the laptops are marketed to budget conscious buyers, so the build quality and other components leave a lot to be desirable, which is the reason I never considered an AMD notebook before.

http://www.anandtech...50g-performance

This post has been edited by pollofeliz: 10 December 2013 - 01:53 AM

3AKOH
(usually)

#4 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

My laptop (Samsung) is an AMD A6. It was very cheap, and the touchpad buttons felt a little flimsy compared to my previous laptop, but I got used to that quickly and it's actually very good. I don't use the integrated graphics to play though.

#5 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

hm. i can run urt fluently on my samsung note 10.1. which for sure never has been imagined for that task :)
for sure i lowerd th4 graphics to a level that looks like minecraftn(at least the skybox) but it works.

so i'd say that igp should run urt. i even found a vid of a bf3 gameplay @ 1366x768 and low settings. you for sure can run urt @ hd, but just dont expect too much.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   pollofeliz Icon

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

I got hold of a portable with quad-core i7 CPU (the 40watt TDP model, 2.2GHz base, 3GHz turbo, Sandy Bridge) and switchable graphics, so it has either ATI Radeon 6490M series or Intel's HD Graphics 3000. I was surprised that the game gets quite nice FPS even utilizing the HD Graphics 3000 at the native 1600x900. A timedemo run posted a healthy +80fps score compared to +120fps with Radeon HD6490M, both with the 4.2 port of Mitsubishi's optimized client.

And the current generation of Intel HD graphics 4400/4600 is better than the last generation HD4000 which was better than HD3000. That is, at least, if you compare the models with the same TDP. I suspect 15watt HD4400 is about as fast as older 35watt HD4000. Based on this, I am guessing that buying any laptop with a Haswell i3 or i5 CPU with 35watt TDP should run UrT at native resolutions with a satisfying fps rate as long as you use the optimized binaries. The AMD A10 portables should be at least up there too. However, the 15watt TDP models though (like the Intel i5-4200U CPUs) may be an unknown still since both the CPU and GPU are clocked slower in them to save power, but I am sure you can coalesce them to run the game at playable speed too.

It's kind of funny that a fast CPU can sort of brute force this game to run well even with mediocre graphics card. The possible explanation for this is that the use of visual "effects" is kept to the minimum (explosions, etc). For example, Xonotic, an free shooter game based on Dark Places engine (an improved quake 1 engine), runs considerably slower. This is of course because the maps as well as the effects in Xonotic, like explosions, flashes, and the gore, are a lot more visually expressive.

This post has been edited by pollofeliz: 04 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

3AKOH
(usually)

#7 User is offline   mightypaul Icon

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

I play Urban Terror on my laptop 30+ fps using Intel Celeron + Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M (GMA 4500M) at 1280x800, low res textures.

Intel 4400 is more powerful than gma 4500, so in theory you should be able to play in full HD.

I've also tested on intel atom + gma 950, 1024 x 576: 10-15 Fps :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942