Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stand alone server on local lan Rate Topic: -----

Has anyone actually got one to work?

#1 User is offline   grendal Icon

• Account: grendal

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Look can someone please explain why it seems so impossible to set up just a local lan server for this game?. I use to have one up and running with bots and the whole 9 yards. My son and I use to play this with each other it was a lot of fun. All of his school work is done on his computer so I have to filter all traffic from a dhcp zone(all the kids devices are on it) for safty reasons so things like gaming servers are just blocked in most cases. I need to be able to set up a local server we can use just the 4 or so of us. I have tried every possible config how to on this. Im running ubuntu 12.04 servers and workstations and have a virtual environment that i can use to build the game servers on. I have tried setting up servers on the machines that have the client on them (to no avail) i have tried setting up servers on virtual machines None of them will accept a connection. And before you say it NO there is no firewall in the mix. I am a network engineer and build firewalls for a living. And yes the clients can get to the interenet and use the servers that are available there. But like i say i need to be able to set up a stand alone server that is on my local lan. Its just very frustrating that there is a server available, and even in the disto packages, but it just doesnt work.

#2 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

I've just updated my home server (running Ubuntu 13.04) to 4.2.017 and it is running fine.

First thing to check would be how you are launching it - try the following:

/path/to/Quake3-UrT-Ded.x86_64 +set fs_game q3ut4 +set net_ip x.x.x.x +set net_port 27960 +set com_hunkmegs 256 +exec server.cfg

Where x.x.x.x is the internal IP. Or use the .i386 executable if your server is 32 bit. You should also check you have a server.cfg of course. You should be able to join on your client computer with /connect x.x.x.x in the in-game console.

Failing that I would look at the network configuration, which is your area :)

#3 User is offline   Jacepriester Icon

•   community dev   

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

You want to use +set dedicated 1 for a local server. This keeps it out of the master list. Auth settings will be irrelevant as auth will not work with dedicated 1. That's not your problem though..just helpful info.

Does your server config specify a map? If not you could add it to the command line:

+map ut4_turnpike

You need to load a map before anyone can connect. I'm betting that's your issue.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942