Urban Terror Forums: high performance graphics mode not kicking in - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

high performance graphics mode not kicking in Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Grinder Icon

• Account: grinder

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

I have a powerful GPU, but URT only puts it under 25 percent load. It's an AMD card (R9 290), and it won't run nearly what it is capable of for clock rate because there isn't enough load. But FPS is fluctuating when it could be at 125.... Stupid powerplay. I don't see any profile options under Catalyst 13.12/Win 7 64 HP.

Anyone know how to force this thing to throttle up? Other games that actually put enough load on the card manage to get it to work a little.

#2 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

you can lower you graphic settings but i am pretty sure this won't solve your problem .....

you are one of many who is experiencing this problem ... and believe me people are pissed off :)

frozen sand should be aware by now and hopefully is working on a solution..

you can add your specs in this thread: http://www.urbanterr...18/page__st__20

p.s. fs claims that urt is heavy on the cpu, gpu does not seem to matter that much

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 21 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#3 User is offline   Grinder Icon

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

I will add my specs in the thread, thanks.

Lowering my settings won't help, I have way more cpu and gpu than I need. The issue seems to be that the gpu is downclocking because of the light load, at times running at less than half of the gpu clock that it is capable of. I've tried an overclock with afterburner, and setting the OC to be the 3d profile, but it still downclocks.

#4 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

I ended up disabling the cpu's onboard graphics for my nvidia setup in my laptop. High performance mode doesnt bother me as im not worried about battery life. If battery isnt a concern, perhaps google how to use dedicated video card for your model.

#5 User is offline   Grinder Icon

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

You misunderstand me Kr0m, not that I posted a lot of detail initially.

I have a desktop computer with NO onboard graphics. AMD FX-8350, 4ghz 8 core with a dedicated Radeon R9 290. This configuration crushes BF4 at my resolution, but URT doesn't put enough load on it.

I see 20 percent load on my gpu, and it downclocks as a result. Instead of running at 1125 Mhz, it runs at 400 or so. I need to find a way to force it into high performance mode...

#6 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

http://www.urbanterr...-urt-42-client/
Try this build with r_simpleshaders 0 for better performance or 1 for more eye candy.

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

#8 User is offline   Grinder Icon

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostMarkinho, on 22 February 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

You can't push the gpu if there is no need for it, you would only achieve higher power consumption and heat for the same performance, it's the cpu that renders pretty much everything

Nonetheless, the gpu running at 1/3 of what it is capable of and constantly changing speed DOES effect FPS (on Riyadh my FPS was fluctuating between 126 and 45) and I found that it affected my gameplay somewhat, probably more due to the fluctuations than the actual FPS. The card only sees 20 percent load, and that isn't enough to stimulate it to spool up. I found a workaround to force the card to full speed, which fixes my problem. It will work for high end AMD gpus.

Use MSI Afterburner, enable unofficial overclocking with no powertune support, and voila, your card is running at full speed. It's kinda like swatting a fly with a baseball bat. It would be nice if AMD providing a way to change the load level that triggers the card to ramp up, especially in a profile so that this would happen automatically for this game. Most of the time powertune works well and I want the power savings, but at least this is a workaround.

*edit* I did find a better workaround. I set up a 3d profile for urt in CCC that had every bit of bling absolutely cranked. It was enough to stimulate the card into throttling up and giving me better FPS despite the higher settings. So I more or less get what I want. Nonetheless, I'd still like to see better user control of AMD's powertune.

This post has been edited by Grinder: 26 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

#9 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

I have my card set at full speed via file editing, since the 5770 series glitches really bad when it's downclocked, and i've tried CCC profiles.

The only thing that helped me was the build with VBO.
.:| Win10 x64 | AMD R5 2600 | 16Gb G.Skill cL16@3ghz | ASUS STRIX Vega 64 |:.

#10 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

View PostMuffie, on 26 February 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

The only thing that helped me was the build with VBO.

any way we can get a mac build with this magic stuff?
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942