Urban Terror Forums: Information about the CL:AUTH protocol - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Information about the CL:AUTH protocol Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   robbinghood Icon

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

Hi,

So I took a look at UT's auth process, and have some questions about how it works.
First of all, I assume that no details about how the md5(?) auth key is generated will be given out, so I won't even ask (Would be pretty dumb if everyone could generate his own auth keys^^)

Yet, I would like to know what the CL:AUTH packet consists of.

Client->Server:
CL:AUTH 3 <some mysterious string, about 172 characters long>

Server client->:
AUTH:CL 3 <some mysterious string, about 135 characters long>

How is this string generated? I can't seem to find any pattern, neither do they have the same length for every log-in.

I'd greatly appreciate if any kind person would care to reply

Regards!

#2 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

some misterious string

It means that the string is encrypted. If FS wanted to let everyone understand the auth protocol why should they encrypt it? Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

This post has been edited by Fenix: 04 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

#3 User is offline   robbinghood Icon

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostFenix, on 04 March 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

It means that the string is encrypted. If FS wanted to let everyone understand the auth protocol why should they encrypt it?

Posted Image

The reason why the auth process is encrypted is probably the chance of auth key theft (Else everyone on the network could capture the auth keys of other players and abuse them).

However, I believe that the encrypted string is not only based on the auth key, but also on at least one other component (e.g. user name, timestamp or whatever).

And that's the part where only someone with some knowledge of the protocol could help.

This post has been edited by robbinghood: 04 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

#5 User is offline   Qant Icon

• Account: qant

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

security through obscurity.. aint that convenient EDIT: not that somebody should actually have to care about urt auths security tho, so nvm.. pointless post is pointless.

This post has been edited by Qant: 19 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942