Urban Terror Forums: Open decision on player animations for Urban Terror HD. - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open decision on player animations for Urban Terror HD.

#2 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:04 AM

I don't want to ever see guns not aimed and ready to fire unless reloading, switching, or actually not in a fire-able state.
Idle (not-aiming) animations make no sense when there is no "aim" button, players are always dangerous. Super disorienting.

I like how crouched players are not as tall as crouched and moving players, hiding behind boxes only works when you stay still.

#4 User is offline   bluewormx Icon

• Account: bluewormx

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Frankie,
Its kinda hard to judge the videos until there is some speed circle jumps, wall jumps powerslide. I know they work (not seen powerslide yet), what you need is a faster driver. ;)
Perhaps you could ask happdays to do a more speed oriented video.

On a theoretical level, fun over realism has got to be the way to go, Animations should'nt need to look realistic as some of the AAA shooters seem to be aiming for.

Nice to see the tracers working. :D

#5 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:53 PM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 29 November 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:

I don't want to ever see guns not aimed and ready to fire unless reloading, switching, or actually not in a fire-able state.
[...]
I like how crouched players are not as tall as crouched and moving players, hiding behind boxes only works when you stay still.

Agree with that. as nice as animations would look like when a player is running around, the "animation" would have to change from idle to firing within a single frame when the player actually decided to fire, and that would look pretty strange is suppose :)

i would, however like an indicator if a player is in scoped view or not.
also i suppose that a idle animation would be acceptable on guns like an sr8, as you probably would not fire them without scoping.

as for crouching, i guess a state similar to the one we have in 4.x would be the best choice, as it would also allow for a rather fluent transition to crouched movement.

for sliding i would prefer a different one though, maybe one leg outstretched forward. hell, if changing the slide direction you could make the model use its hands as "brakes". Or at least one hand, as at least one should hold the gun.

for walljumps something with maybe a hand and a leg on the wall would be nice. (always assuming we have that one hand holding our gun in a somewhat ready state)

jumps now might be a little tricky (to look actually fitting), i suppose a different animation for a forward, a "on spot" and a backward jump would do fine.

thats all i can think of right now. :)

p.s.: i just recalled seeing idle animations in someshowcase form a few month back, and got an idea: use those during the round start time (those x seconds you are spawned but cant move/shoot). Also i suppose a player not moving for like 15 (def. not less) seconds could get the idle animations.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

Agreed, waiting on the circle jumps, wall jumps and power slides before delivering my final verdict. But as it stands now, and it bears repeating because of how awesome I am, current HD animations look smoother than JohnnyEnglish's head dipped in baby oil.

#8 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 29 November 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:

I don't want to ever see guns not aimed and ready to fire unless reloading, switching, or actually not in a fire-able state. Idle (not-aiming) animations make no sense when there is no "aim" button, players are always dangerous. Super disorienting. I like how crouched players are not as tall as crouched and moving players, hiding behind boxes only works when you stay still.
Yes, Yes, and YES. this man knows what he is talking about.

View PostIye, on 29 November 2015 - 05:53 PM, said:

also i suppose that a idle animation would be acceptable on guns like an sr8, as you probably would not fire them without scoping.
not even, I noscope people all the time.

Iye said:

for sliding i would prefer a different one though, maybe one leg outstretched forward. hell, if changing the slide direction you could make the model use its hands as "brakes". Or at least one hand, as at least one should hold the gun.
This is actually a problem I have with the current sliding animations. The fact that your leg sticks way out in front of you in a fixed position bothers me a lot.
1. Its not realistic, 2. This is not baseball. (don't start quoting the motto).

Please, I ask you and everyone reading this, to put on socks, find a smooth flat surface and run and slide while crouching (while pretending to hold a rifle) for as long as you can. You will come to notice, just as I have, that you keep your legs under you. I guarantee you that your back foot will be under your butt on its tip-toes, and your front foot will be in line with your head. It provides better balance to keep both feet under you. Go do it yourself, I'll wait here.

Iye said:

for walljumps something with maybe a hand and a leg on the wall would be nice.
A simple elegant tap/kick with the front tip of the foot should suffice for a walljump. Don't go crazy, the player doesn't need to dropkick the wall.
Furthermore, making the player's hand come off the gun while walljumping or sliding is a bad idea because people can shoot while sliding, and I personally know people that can shoot while walljumping, it would just cause the animations to glitch out.

Iye said:

i just recalled seeing idle animations ... use those during the round start time (those x seconds you are spawned but cant move/shoot).
this is actually a good idea, I think you should do it Frankie. :)

Iye said:

Also i suppose a player not moving for like 15 (def. not less) seconds could get the idle animations.
Please no, because if a person comes across a camper, they might think they're afk and then get shot for lowering their guard. I know plenty of people that pretend to be afk so they can get easy kills.

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

#9 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:13 PM

View PostDark-knight, on 08 December 2015 - 07:27 PM, said:

not even, I noscope people all the time.

k. one question though: why?

Furthermore, making the player's hand come off the gun while walljumping or sliding is a bad idea because people can shoot while sliding, and I personally know people that can shoot while walljumping, it would just cause the animations to glitch out.

probably. i just came up with fancy stuff there :). but wouldnt it be "hollywood-style" to shoot with one hand? :)

Please no, because if a person comes across a camper, they might think they're afk and then get shot for lowering their guard. I know plenty of people that pretend to be afk so they can get easy kills.

sure, but where is the difference between how its done now, and how it would be with an idle animation?
After all, if you find someone in a position you know he can spawn in, 1 minute into a round, you would assume he is afk?
where would the difference be, with an idle animation, telling you that he hasnt touched his controls in 15 sec?
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#10 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:59 AM

I'd be down with unscoped rifles held at the hip, but always pointed toward point of aim.
This gives a bit of a Rambo/NES Contra hipfire to no-scoping, reflects the terrible accuracy of no-scoping while still maintaining a level of threat, AND feels super badass whilst chewing a cigar.

This post has been edited by beautifulNihilist: 09 December 2015 - 12:59 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942