Urban Terror Forums: Can't view folders in explorer but they appear in Radiant - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can't view folders in explorer but they appear in Radiant Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

• Account: kolossus

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

Today I ran a test compile for a certain texture+shader, but couldn't locate my .bsp, but I realized that my .map file is not where it should be, which is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\UrbanTerror42mapping\q3ut4\maps

It's nowhere.

Posted Image

However if I browse to the same folder through the "open file" from Radiant, the .map file is there!

Not only that, inside my q3ut4 folder (same path above), I have another q3ut4 folder, and a baseq3 folder. What the heck is happening? My path in GtkRadiant preferences is

C:/Program Files (x86)/UrbanTerror42mapping/

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Kolossus: 22 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

#2 User is offline   rfx Icon

• Account: rfx

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

I could be wrong, but I think this is a special behavior (for backwards compatibility) than when non-privileged access (i.e. your user account) tries to write to "C:\Programe Files(x86)" (or similar) the technology called "Windows VirtualStore" behind your back fakes as if you writing when in fact you weren't.

To make long things short: if you regularly want/need unprivileged write access, you're advised to install your software into some folder which has not those special permission handling.

E.g all my UrT devel^H^H^H^H^Htesting stuff is in D:\dev\urt_mapping\ or similar; absolute normal non-special folder and thus no problems with permission/VirtualStore etc.

YMMV, HTH

This post has been edited by rfx: 22 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

#3 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

Ah I see. I'm not a regular Windows user so I am not sure about this, but how do I tell the system that I am the Admin? Sometimes I can't even save a texture directly into q3ut4/textures because it complains about permissions. *rolls eyes*

#4 User is offline   rfx Icon

• Account: rfx

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Well, usually the user you are working with has reduced privileges and I'm no expert either on Windows.

All I know is, the best way to avoid all these problems without having to work as "Administrator" or root (always a bad idea) is to basically work in a non-special-for-windows folder which basically means outside C:\Program Files... and C:\Windows... and such.

#5 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

So I have to move my mapping folder out of program files? Would be C: fine?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

I have solved moving my Urbanterror42mapping folder to C:\ and keeping Gtkradiant inside program files (x86). Now on to learn how to write shaders.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942