Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Door sound change Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

• Account: kolossus

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

When I change the sound of a func_door, the sound plays correctly but there are some issues that I'm facing.

1- The default sound still plays in the background and it's audible, horribly audible. Can I remove it completely?

2- The door in question is a sliding door that brings to a closed environment, the problem is that the sound is not really loud, and actually it seems to play from the "inside", so you can only hear it when the door is half-open. How do I solve this?

#2 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

Do not set the sound key; you want to use pos1 (plays when the door starts moving) and pos2 (plays when the door stops). In most cases pos1 alone is sufficent (set pos2 to none). Example:

"classname" "func_door"
"lip" "50"
"wait" "-1"
"targetname" "func_door1"
"angle" "90"
"speed" "20"
"trigger_only" "1"
"closeWhenIdle" "1"
"pos1" "sound/ut4_tharsia_b1/door.wav"
"pos2" "none"

When you’re editing the entity values there should be a listing of keys and their meanings at the top of the window (you may have to drag the edge of the textbox to see it).

EDIT: What you’re describing as the sound being blocked by the door is actually a pause allocated for the pos1 sound (during which you hear the default sound). Pretty much the only thing that affects sound in Quake 3 is distance.

This post has been edited by JRandomNoob: 25 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#3 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Hi JRandom, sorry, I failed to say that I do use pos1 and not the noise key, because in various places I had read that as a suggestion. I don't use the pos2 but I don't set the key to none, does it change it if I do so, or if I simply ignore the key?

I had also read about a small "hack" where you set the origin of the func away from the door so that the player doesn't hear it and you set the sound with a target (speaker I think) but it sounds more complicated than it's worth it.

I just would like not having to set my own sound too loud just to "drown" the other one. :P

#4 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

You have to set pos2 to none to get rid of the default sound completely (it’s made up of separate start and stop sounds).

Considering your description of the problem it’s also possible that you’ve accidentally split the door into two entities with mostly similar values, but different sound keys… or you’ve been editing only one half of a double door… I’m not experienced enough to give you a definitive answer based on a somewhat vague description, without having seen the map. Rest assured that forcing the door to behave is perfectly possible.
dswp.de

#5 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Ah that's what it's for! Thank you very much, you definitely solved the sound part. Now I need to check as for why the sound is muffled by the door. I'll try experimenting and report here if I come up with something. Thank you again for the pos2 thing, didn't know that.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Might be that the sound file you’re using starts with a bit of silence? If it sounds too quiet in-game you should increase gain in an audio editor (I use Audacity; gain is the plus/minus slider left to the waveform).
dswp.de

#7 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

I use Audacity as well, I'll try to tweak the sound. Thank you! :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942