• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MAX_SUBMODELS Exceeded Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   n4w4k Icon

• Account: n4w4k
  • Main tag: chic.

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hey guys,

I'm building an icy map with a mate and during the last days we've put every jumps (~40) in a single map file. We have no error during the compilation (at least I've seen noone in the q3map2 log..) but we can't launch the map in urt because we get that error : MAX_SUBMODELS Exceeded.

After few searches, we found that (link):

Error: MAX_SUBMODELS Exceeded
Info:
I got this message while I was loading up my map [darkalan]:

MAX_SUBMODELS exceeded

Fix:
Believe it or not, the error is more related to entities, not models. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are limited to 255 brush entities. If you exceed that amount, you will get the MAX_SUBMODLES exceeded error. Keep in mind that you can make one brush entity out of several brushes, and it only counts as one. [Grand Nagus]

And that (link):

A brush entity, is exactly what it sounds like: A brush based entity.

Doors, Plats, Trigger_*s, rotating objects, etc

The other type of entity is a 'Point' Entity, they are spawn points, lights, etc; entitys that don't have brushes included in them.

All the jumps are joined by teleporters (no corridors), so I guess it's a big part of the problem.. but we can't remove them easily because we would have to make a looooot of corridors, and, the most important thing, we would have to redesign every jumps because corridors have disadvantages, like visible rooms through skybox, fps drops, etc..

Any suggestion or tip?

This post has been edited by n4w4k: 30 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

#2 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

limited to 255 brush entities.

Well. thats true. and afaik there is no workaround to that. Consider it is only about BRUSH entities. Like if you have two teleporters that lead to the same exit you can set them as one.
This also applies to any other trigger, func_wall, ...

Though: how did you get 255+ brush ents with 40 jumps? i mean its ~45 locations, ~45 teleports and thats about it?

corridors have disadvantages, like visible rooms through skybox

shape them correctly and do a vis built. you wont really see the difference to teleports.

check out this tutorial
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#3 User is offline   n4w4k Icon

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

Hmm... well.. We had some issues during the import of the jumps, so we decided to do the maximum we can in the jumps themself, before putting everything in a single map file. We added trigger_teleport entities in the jumps for getting to previous/next jumps, instead of duplicate a brush from the existing entity of the concerned jumps. Dunno if I'm clear :s

I've already made a jump map which has corridors and it was a pain, even if every jumps were designed from the beginning for being joined by corridors. Like this one: link. Still no clue where I failed, but hint brushes didnt worked and I had to do like Rambetter said, building weird corridors with "kinks".

Dunno if it is the good way to go but I'll try to make an app for joining every entities which have the same target into a single one (kinda lazzy for doing it in radiant :d).

This post has been edited by n4w4k: 30 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

#4 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

• Account: kolossus

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Even setting two teleporters per jump, you'd get to 80 entities ca., so how did you exceed 255 entities?

This post has been edited by Kolossus: 30 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

#5 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

have you tried running that awesome map cleanup tool?
it removes dead ents and brushes with an expansion of 0.
might help.

oh. i just remember a point about the teleporters.
if you join the trigger_teleports, they will probably all point to the same dest.

this is not a big problem, since teleporters put you out with some speed, meaning you dont block the exit if you don't move after teleporting. But as soon as you have two players just standing around the next the second one will be killed upon a third player using the teleport.
Possible workaround is a trigger_push, that pushs you out of the teleporter dest.

Be carefull about joining ents with the same target entry. there might be points where you dont want to ents with the same targetname to be joined. (consider double doors)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   n4w4k Icon

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

@Kolossus: Well i really don't know what exactly should not go more than 255.. When I count the brushes defined into entities of IcyWorld by Rambetter, I find 1715.... Our map gets 455 (after ungrouping every func_group we can). But one more time, I'm a bit confused..

@Iye: Hmm if you mean bobtoolz's tool, called "Brush Cleanup", yeah I used it, for another issue (degenerate plane :d). About misc_teleporter_dest ents, I think there is no problem when we use only 1 per trigger_teleport since 4.2. Players should not be killed if they appear at the same moment. But I dunno if the map will be played on 4.1 so we decided to put 2 misc_teleporter_dest per trigger_teleport.

#7 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

[...] since 4.2. Players should not be killed if they appear at the same moment[...]
fun fact. they do. :)

so. misc_teleporter_dest isnt a problem, since its a point ent. (your problem is related to brush ents)

[...]When I count the brushes defined into entities of IcyWorld by Rambetter, I find 1715[...]

i doubt that rambetters map has actually 1715 brush ents. maybe you did also count world as a rush ent (since its brush ent)
it is ONLY about things like func_, tigger_ and some other.
Also what did you use func_group for?

#8 User is offline   n4w4k Icon

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

Hmm I'm sure I skipped the brushes of the worldspawn.

Here is the method I used (C#). Check the counts.Skip(1) at the end.

Spoiler

I put into func_group every external walls which had to be structural. It was an easy way for quickly doing an update of structural/detail brushes. After ungrouping them, my brush entities count (with the method you know..) was 450 instead of 800.

By the way, I've made the application that I said before, for joining brushes into a single entity, and now I haven't the error anymore :) But I have another one now :/ MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY Exceeded. After a quick search I found it's about too much structural brushs, but as I said, only my external walls are structural (I'm sure, I used filters for hidding detail brushs). In my last map, I think I got this error too, but I don't remember how I fixed it.. I keep searching..

This post has been edited by n4w4k: 30 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

#10 User is offline   n4w4k Icon

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

Yeah the compilation with _blocksize 2048 is running on the pc of my mate :) I haven't enought ram on my laptop, it causes safe malloc error :s It's an huge map, I think we have few hours to wait.. Hope everything will be good. ^^

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942