• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Misleading Ads Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

Posted Image

Resulting URL from clicking on the ad was https://www.vgamenet...rbanterror.info

I know there's nothing that can be done in terms of what ads get shown, and the internet is rife with this kind of misleading advertising. But maybe something can be done about making ads more recognisable as ads. Perhaps making the real download link more prominent might also help.

#2 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postthelionroars, on 10 December 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

Resulting URL from clicking on the ad was https://www.vgamenet...rbanterror.info

I know there's nothing that can be done in terms of what ads get shown, and the internet is rife with this kind of misleading advertising. But maybe something can be done about making ads more recognisable as ads. Perhaps making the real download link more prominent might also help.

The <div> that contains the ads could easily have a small print text also added that states "Advertisement" above or below the ad.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#3 User is offline   BountyHunter Icon

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

Please do your best to show these are ads and not your official downloads. There are a lot of ppl who would confuse this for a real download (most of the ppl I work with for example).

This sort of thing is why I have a job.

This post has been edited by BountyHunter: 11 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

#4 User is offline   durgagon Icon

• Account: durgagon

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postthelionroars, on 10 December 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

there's nothing that can be done in terms of what ads get shown

that is extra-false

You have the option to HIDE the ads without BLOCKing them:

urbanterror.info##[class^="spons"]

and consider adding an exception to the blocking rule as outright disabling adblock edge is not ever prudent:

Posted Image

(firfox: right click adblock "plus ads" or adblock edge status bar icon, open blockable items -- instructions vary for interweb browser and extension otherwise)

this whitelist rule [exception] allows google pageads (left highlight) on urbanterror (right highlight) BUT not if they're flash/videos (top highlight):

Posted Image

All sites showing ads who respect surfer privacy will not allow third party advertisements but use its own resources (first party) to render ads for responsible content control. ad"block" plus by wladimir palant is not trustworthy as the developer inflicted "acceptable" ads, the very opposite of adblocking.

support your favored sites without having your privacy raped by third party ad networks -- the default result without adblocking. :)

This post has been edited by durgagon: 12 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

xmpp texting : $0 FTW
& Off The Record (prism break) . Also $0: SIP Texting, SIP calling, SIP video calls. Better both as CUSAX (RFC 7081) (skypesücks)

#5 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

View Postdurgagon, on 12 December 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

that is extra-false

I was referring to what the operator of the website (Frozen Sand) can do in terms of what ads get shown. I've used an ad blocker for many years, but you may have noticed that FS request that people turn it off for this site to help cover costs. And the ads in question are really targeting new users, not existing ones.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

can somebody walk me though or show me how to do this in Adblock Plus?

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

#7 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostDark-knight, on 21 March 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

can somebody walk me though or show me how to do this in Adblock Plus?

Click the AdBlock Plus icon then click "Block an ad on this page"

#8 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

View PostNikki, on 21 March 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Click the AdBlock Plus icon then click "Block an ad on this page"

no no no, I don't want to block the ads, I want to hide them like Durgagon suggested.

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

#9 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

View Postthelionroars, on 12 December 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

I was referring to what the operator of the website (Frozen Sand) can do in terms of what ads get shown. I've used an ad blocker for many years, but you may have noticed that FS request that people turn it off for this site to help cover costs. And the ads in question are really targeting new users, not existing ones.

Frozen Sands are in complete control of what adverts are published to their website. They also have the ability to block individual adverts.

FS have now also added the advertisement "box" around ads to make them clearer.

I am of the opinion that when adverts invade your privacy they have to go. Any website that will put adverts before my privacy online will always see me blocking their ad content. perhaps FS could look into a subscription/donation terms for members that wish to have an ad-free website but wish to still help support urban terror.

I would rather support FS directly rather than indirectly through ads and reduced privacy.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#10 User is offline   DeMS Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: dems

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostNitro, on 22 March 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

Frozen Sands are in complete control of what adverts are published to their website. They also have the ability to block individual adverts.

If someone can confirm the awful ads with sound are not going to be displayed on this website (which they previously were), I think a lot of people might want to add this to the whitelist.

I'm usually not bothered by ads, but there was a time when plenty of ads made sound, and considering I have my headphones on all the time, it ended up with a series of mini heart attacks.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942