Low FPS on I7 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   gokussj9 Icon

• Account: gokussj9

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

Hi,

I have got myself two laptops

1. http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Y40 has i7 4510U and the Acer has i5 4510U.

I have been getting pretty decent fps on Acer(90-100) but on the Y40, even after having
a better processor, the fps is much worse.Has it got to do with the resolution of Y40 being
1920X1080 whereas the resolution for Acer V3 is 1366X768. I really don't understand why Y40 being
a better platform, is giving me such a bad fps. Can anybody help me with this issue. I really want to keep
the Y40 since it has an SSD.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   rEhearsal Icon

• Account: rehearsal

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:46 AM

'allo ..

Just a guess but you could try 'n set "r_primitives 2" ingame/console (no need vid_restart), see if different renderMethod fixes dis issue since laptop (#1) got ATI/gfx as far as I scoped dat..
also disable options "sync/wait for every frame" & "a.I" in catalyst-cntrl-center under 3d.options

Meanwhile laptop (#2) has nvidia, disabling "threaded-optimization" would help gather more FPS

rEgards
[ d.a.t.a. .h.o.u.r.b. .c.o.m ]

#3 User is offline   tupp Icon

• Account: tupp

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:15 AM

Pretty sure the newer processors are actually slightly worse for playing old games like urt since having jumbles of cores and stuff and multithreading. I know what I'm talking about, trust me :D

#4 User is offline   rastablaster Icon

• Account: rastablaster

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:05 AM

High gokussj9. Check whether you have 2 graphic cards in ur laptop - one for desktop applications and one for more demanding tasks. Mby u need to "teach" Radeon to recognize Urban Terror.

#5 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

That might actually be the point. iirc those 4th gen i7s come with something like a intel hd 4000.
That should still run UrT but definetly not at full hd+max settings+125 fps.
I would guess that the laptop came with some kind of tool (be it a desktop gadget,..) to turn off the IGP
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   gokussj9 Icon

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostrEhearsal, on 05 December 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

'allo ..

Just a guess but you could try 'n set "r_primitives 2" ingame/console (no need vid_restart), see if different renderMethod fixes dis issue since laptop (#1) got ATI/gfx as far as I scoped dat..
also disable options "sync/wait for every frame" & "a.I" in catalyst-cntrl-center under 3d.options

Meanwhile laptop (#2) has nvidia, disabling "threaded-optimization" would help gather more FPS

rEgards

Thanks for your reply.I tried the tweak you suggested but that din't work. The thing is I have been
playing urt on Intel HD 4600 in spite of having GTX 770M onboard, and that worked just fine for me which suggests that
Intel HD 4600 is more than enough to handle urt. Both the Acer and Y40 have Intel HD 4400 and the one on Acer works just fine.
The Y40 has a slightly higher clocked version of the processor(2.0 GHz vs 1.7 GHz) in Acer,so it should by all means be giving me the same fps if not more.

That is why I think there is some issue with the resolution of Y40 being 1920X1080. I have to choose the "wide" version of the resolution in urt to play it on full screen in Y40, otherwise it occupies only a portion of my laptop screen.
If you have any tweak regarding resolution, let me know.

#7 User is offline   gokussj9 Icon

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostIye, on 05 December 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

That might actually be the point. iirc those 4th gen i7s come with something like a intel hd 4000.
That should still run UrT but definetly not at full hd+max settings+125 fps.
I would guess that the laptop came with some kind of tool (be it a desktop gadget,..) to turn off the IGP

I know that Intel HD is not enough to run urt on max fps. I am not sure whether you can turn off IGP, at least not through the device manager. Anyways, I have observed that Intel HD does not get loaded beyond 40% running urt on max fps(courtesy gpuz), which means that Urt is totally CPU intensive. My grouse is how a relatively better platform in terms of higher clock rate is giving me lower fps compared to one which has 15% lesser clock rate.

#8 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |PWNY|

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:57 PM

You Have a ~12% increase on CPU performance (1.7GHz - 2.0GHz) and a ~98% increase in pixel resolution (1366x768 vs 1920x1080) and since your cpu is going to be processing most of that I would say yes the higher resolution is a key factor in your performance issue.

This post has been edited by Nitro: 06 December 2014 - 01:12 AM

Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942