• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A few Screenshots Rate Topic: -----

#71 Guest_Sage

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

I've just have one question: What are you using to ensure the scale is correct?

This is something that has bugged me for a while, I am sure Ive used the same scale used in ET and RTCW ie front of a house (not including roof) is 256 Radiant units high (which ties in nicely with the 512x512 house facia textures at 0.5 scale?.) ... Even thou that was slighty too large for the player size at 72 units high?. Its not that bigger deal to scale it down a tad if need be....

Well the reason why I asked is that the Urt player models are 64 units high, and they are going to be basicaly the same for ETUT. Which means if your map is designed for a 72 unit model it's going to feel about 10% bigger then it should. So somehow you're going to need to overcome that scale issue.

Has the scale really been set in stone?.

From my calculations by setting the texture scale to 0.4 (from 0.5) it gives a 512x512 texture a brush size of 204x204 radiant units with no adjustments and ties textures together nicley.
This I think would be in line with the player size of 64 units.. (see piccy) The caulk block by the door is 64 units high...

Posted Image

I am not a sniper lover at all and I will not give them an advantage. But the map has to have 1 or 2 open-ish areas (like casa). There are plenty of ways around the map without needlessly risking you life from sniper fire. Most of the map is alleys connecting small areas and each area is flankable..

#72 Guest_Sage

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:42 PM

$Null Ive sent you a private message...

#73 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:30 AM

IMO in Urban Terror I've found the best yardstick to use for scale is this:

Because of the fact that the player actually jumps higher than a human would if they were 64 units high, you kinda have to fudge the scale a bit in the z axis, but not enough to destroy the illusion of reality in the level.

For this reason, I would reccommend using a scale of 1:1 for x, 1:1 for y, and roughly 1.2:1 for z, assuming that one unit = one inch.

So if you have an 8x8x8 foot room (96x96x96 inches), in GTKRadiant you would make the room roughly 96x96x120 units

This worked pretty well for me, as it allows the player to not bump his head on the ceilings of indoor portions of the map, while still having outside areas be close enough to scale to seem right, espesially if you're planning on allowing people to have vertical access in the map, as going too far on the z scale adjustment will make the level overtall, and it won't feel right I think.

Something else to consider too, for the width of passages.. the player if i remember right is 32 units wide (someone correct me here, im going off memory) so any passage you make should be at least 72 units wide so you don't have err, blockages =)

#74 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:41 PM

All this UNIT talk is great, but the absolute best way to gaurentee the best scale in 3rd person is to actually stick the actual playermodel in the editor. Now as for perspective in 1st person, because of where the camera is located in relation to the player, this will always seem as if the camera were attached to the top of the players head and not his eyeballs. Trust me when I say that people will forgive you (and when I say people I mean other Level designers) more if you are correctly scaled in 3rd person then in 1st person.

Here is the playermodel I use to scale my levels.....BATTER UP!!

Posted Image

#75 User is offline   codey (old) Icon

• Locationrepublic.stockholm.se

Posted 01 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

LOL - ace |NV|S, simply ace!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#76 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:32 AM

All this UNIT talk is great, but the absolute best way to gaurentee the best scale in 3rd person is to actually stick the actual playermodel in the editor. Now as for perspective in 1st person, because of where the camera is located in relation to the player, this will always seem as if the camera were attached to the top of the players head and not his eyeballs. Trust me when I say that people will forgive you (and when I say people I mean other Level designers) more if you are correctly scaled in 3rd person then in 1st person.

Here is the playermodel I use to scale my levels.....BATTER UP!!

Agreed. Kinda why I follow my little scale rules as a guide... It's still best to make sure it looks "right" too, regardles of your scale preference, as far as getting into the details... Watching someone bunny-hop over a " perfect 1:1 to scale" object like a car or a fence is pretty um, silly =)

#77 Guest_luniaq

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:45 AM

I put up mirrors to see myself...works best for me! :wink:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942