Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ET:UT Map Creation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   oxford (old) Icon

• LocationCanada, Montreal

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:29 AM

Yahh.. okay i wanted to start to create an urban terror map , so i downloaded all the files needed for and i started to discover how the program work, the radiant one... and after someone said to me u should start to do map on ET:UT!! for the new version instead of urban terror...

Shoud i do it??
And what program i need to create maps with the ET engine??

#2 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:39 AM

Well, you could map on the ET engine now, but in the end it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

Considerations for moving to Enemy Territory now, before ET:UT is ready:

*you can't run around in the map and expect it to be to Urban Terror scale, the player height in Urban Terror vs Enemy Territory is actually different I think. The Urban Terror player is 64 units tall. the ET player is 72 units high (If I remember correctly). Anything built will be off-scale for Urban Terror in this case.

*none of the Urban Terror entities will function yet. none.

*no bots to test spawns etc.

just to name some...

In my opinion just map for Urban Terror on q3ut3

It'll be no different than mapping on ET:UT

BUT

This comes with it's share of Considerations:

*make sure the textures are ^2 and you've got the 3.x .def

*make sure any commom.shaders specific to q3a are carried over to etut in your shaderfile, et lacks certain q3a shaders.

*don't count on any of the current game textures (the SID supplied ones) as a permanent asset, be self sufficient with your game assets, as we don't know what maps are staying and what old textures will be removed for ET:UT.

Direct-porting maps isnt hard, so you can carry over stuff you do now to ET:UT.

#3 User is offline   fourdee (old) Icon

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:37 PM

I am about to clean up ut_boardwalk for another release candidate, thanks for the heads up about player height in ET! I was thinking of starting a new map and that will make a big difference...

I think I need the 3.x defs, is there a site with tutorials for mapping for 3.x?

Thanks for tips. I'm trying to get the old castle map "interlaken" to compile but it's being a pain. Hopefully I'll be able to release interlaken and boardwalk for Q3UT and consider a conversion to ETUT. I'd rather start a new map with latest knowledge gleaned from good maps (algiers for example). Smaller is better...

#4 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:16 AM

the 3.x def is in one of the game pk3's, i think either 3.0 or 3.1 (you'll have too look, i forget which one, I jusy know if you have 3.x paks, you got the def already).

As far as 3.x tuts, I don't know of any, your best bet is to actually read the def (rough advice for n00bs, but you've been around :P)

Yeah, I messed around alil with going to ET right away, it's more headache than it's worth, unless you WANT to make an ET map.

Rumor has it that the 3.x def essentially IS the de-facto def (at least as far as already-existing ents anyways) for ET:UT.

The pixel size of your texture images being divisible by ^2 (no oddballs like 192 or 96) and carrying over legacy shaders is the key things to watch for.

#5 User is offline   MCinBigD (old) Icon

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:27 PM

So, I'm mapping in ET for ET:UrT ... and I need lava. Thoughts on the best and most legal way to do this?

Also, I should just copy the 3.x def file over right? Then I can use it to map? yes?

And, I can use the foliage plant model planter thing right? ET:UrT gonna keep the plants from ET yes?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:09 PM

[quote name='"MCinBigD"]So' date=' I'm mapping in ET for ET:UrT ... and I need lava. Thoughts on the best and most legal way to do this?[/quote']

The short answer is to make a copy of a q3a shader for lava to the ET:UT scripts folder. You'll have to make sure all the paths in it mirror the path you choose for the lava image borrowed from q3a, and you'll need the image too obviously. and yeah props in the readme.... can't forget the legal part =)

Or if you want to do it 'clean' then find said q3a shader and read it, and make your own lava shader that includes the effects you like, and find a picture of lava. crop this lava picture so that you can make it tileable. Here Is a website with freeware Photoshop plugins, some of which deal with making images tileable, and tile your lava. drop your spiffy new lava shader in scripts and your lava tex in a folder with the same name as you chose for the script name etc etc. Enjoy your custom clean lava in the most legal way =)

[quote name='"MCinBigD"]Also' date=' I should just copy the 3.x def file over right? Then I can use it to map? yes?[/quote']

yes, the ents will show up in GTKRadiant, but NOT ingame in ET, we gotta wait for them to release the game for that =)

[quote name='"MCinBigD"]And' date=' I can use the foliage plant model planter thing right? ET:UrT gonna keep the plants from ET yes?[/quote']

ET native assets should work for ET:UT just like q3a assets work for q3ut3 currently, like ET shaders, textures, models, etc etc.

Remember, since ET and UrT use different player scales, Anything you build now will NOT be scaled as you intended when ET:UT is released, as the player is actually bigger in ET than it is in Urt. ET:UT's player will likely be the same size as the q3ut3 player, so the scale won't change for it. This is the reason why I really would reccommend staying with q3ut3 until ET:UT is released if you intend on mapping for Urban Terror through the engine change, it really will be far less headache if you just make the maps in q3ut3, and direct-port them to ET:UT observing my notes in the above post.

#7 User is offline   codey (old) Icon

• Locationrepublic.stockholm.se

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

So' date=' I'm mapping in ET for ET:UrT ... and I need lava. Thoughts on the best and most legal way to do this?[/quote']
The short answer is to make a copy of a q3a shader for lava to the ET:UT scripts folder.

This will create the look of lava but does lava as a 'material' exist in ET? IE as something that's liquid and fries you to burnt crisp if staying too long in it.

cheers

#8 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

...but does lava as a 'material' exist in ET? IE as something that's liquid and fries you to burnt crisp if staying too long in it.

at least in ETF it does. that might be a hack by the ETF guys though.

#9 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:50 PM

it's possible to make your own surface that acts like lava without using the lava surface parm if they stripped the lava surfaceparm out of ET. I doubt they did though.

make the lava brush, texture it with a lava-textured shader that has a water surfaceparm and also has a very super high value hurt trigger . You'll just be able to swim in the lava for a split-second before you die =)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942