• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tutorial

#11 User is offline   Ntr Icon

• Account: ntr

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:05 PM

View PostKroniK, on 04 September 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

@ntr

Telling someone to just "Figure it out" is bullshit. Circle jumping is confusing for anyone used to COD or CS or any other shooter on the planet besides quake. I'll tell you from experience that the "Gameplay and fun factor" is virtually zero in this game when you watch people fly around the map and no one can explain how they are doing it, and you just keep getting killed cause you are so much slower than everyone else. learning the basic game mechanics should be covered for newbies who want to learn. Im not saying make it mandatory or anything, just provide a way to teach the basic skills to people who want to know how the game mechanics work. I always use tutorials on all the games I play because I want to understand how the game is meant to be played before I just jump in blind.

I would like to see a tutorial map that comes default with the game and has its own menu option which would launch you directly into the tutorial. This way newbies have easy access to understanding the game mechanics.

You sir are boring.
I played this game long before wall jumping was even a concept. And when it came it took me less than a week to get a hang of it.
I played damn near every online shooter worth playing and the only "tutorial" any given player will ever need is in the options menu, under controls.

I can't imagine a person saying "oh yes i got this cool new game, let me watch/play a tutorial before i actually start having fun".
Wanna learn how to play? Jump on a server, blind as a bat, and have some damn fun learning the ropes.
No damn 30 minute tutorial or a crappy single player mode will ever bring the experience of playing against real opponents or make you learn how to play a game.
That's just ridiculously pathetic IMO.

When i buy a new phone i dont read the damn manual, to learn how to operate it, i turn the damn thing on and learn how to use it by....oh ok, wait for....just a second now....BY USING IT.
wow never thought of that, i might just learn how to play a game by jumping on a server and playing it.
Maybe FS should release a PDF with useful instructions like how to reload a gun, how to crouch or how to start the game by double clicking UrT icon.

If circle jumping is confusing...then you might want to stick to actually simple games like tetris.
Or you haven't read the tutorial for that yet.

This post has been edited by Ntr: 05 September 2015 - 11:06 PM

#13 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:46 PM

View PostZenity, on 06 September 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

At best, a basic tutorial could explain the concepts and showcase the possibilities, so you know what's going on while being steamrolled.

Which is actually the exact way I learned to circle jump. I had heard several people talk about it in the chat, but I only knew it was the term for whatever I had to do to be awesome. Only when I watched someone on YouTube doing a circle jump on merely a plane it clicked for me. So, I learned circle jumping through a video of someone just gaining speed jumping, with no obstacles or anything to complicate it.

Some points to (possibly) consider.
  • Showing a person how to circlejump with W + Sprint held down constantly, so that the bulk of the work is in the mouse-movement, makes for an easy (enough) concept to read/understand. Just add as a note, that it is better to use all of WASD to make the mouse free, but that it is more difficult.
  • In the tutorial the example may not be a pit to overcome, but just a time to beat. It shows/teaches the most basic circle jumping, and even if the player crouches all the way, they can still proceed.

Since a tutorial would not be obligatory, adding it just for the few, who would benefit from it, sounds to me for enough of a reason to have it.

Make what you want of these few lines.

This post has been edited by Ikslorin: 10 September 2015 - 03:11 PM

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#14 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:52 PM

we talked about this .. no manpower or will to do it, obviously:

http://www.urbanterr...o-aka-tutorial/
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#15 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

So after all this discussion seems to be about explaining criclejumps now. :)
IMO: just dont. name it, link it, but dont make it part of a tutorial.

Basically a tutorial should tell you stance modes, movement modes, walljumps, stamina and healing.
Takes about 2 mintues to do just that. and that would be enough.
All introduced by a 1st time start popup with 3 buttons: "set your settings", "play the tutorial", "jump into action".

After all, the existence of a tutorial is preferable to its non-existence (possibly making new players drop the game before they saw all its possibilities)

Sure that doesn't help you about getting your ass kicked if you join a game at first, but after all you at least know what kills you....
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:33 AM

View PostKarlMariaSeeberg, on 06 September 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

we talked about this .. no manpower or will to do it, obviously:
http://www.urbanterr...o-aka-tutorial/

If it's a video tutorial, I'll do it even though it's not what we're exactly looking for... if not, I would contribute as much as I can.

View PostIye, on 06 September 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

So after all this discussion seems to be about explaining criclejumps now. :)
IMO: just dont. name it, link it, but dont make it part of a tutorial.

The discussion has moved in that direction, since showing WASD, shooting, stances, walljumps and healing are almost trivial to do.

What sets circlejumping apart from the rest, is that it is so much more difficult to explain, but just as important.

This post has been edited by Ikslorin: 08 September 2015 - 06:03 PM

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#17 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

i personally feel that this should not be a video but should work like an interactive tutorial on a map.

you get a task and you have to accomplish it and there should be nothing to trival to implement.

urt got a hell lot to customize. i think getting new players used to the console and commands would be great. it would be great if this was part of the tutorial, if this was a task as well.

if you read the old thread you will find that i elaborate on that.

my idea was to break jumps down to the most basic movement patterns.

a tutorial should actually help you master a jump by making the technique to do it accessable.

building the usual map and shoving the player close to the edge, telling him to just do the jump would fail to meet that requirement.

if i was to choose, i'd have an (sub)urban themed map for this tutorial, something like elgin, uptown or thingley.

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 08 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#18 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:11 AM

View PostKarlMariaSeeberg, on 08 September 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

i personally feel that this should not be a video but should work like an interactive tutorial on a map.

you get a task and you have to accomplish it and there should be nothing to trival to implement.

urt got a hell lot to customize. i think getting new players used to the console and commands would be great. it would be great if this was part of the tutorial, if this was a task as well.

if you read the old thread you will find that i elaborate on that.

my idea was to break jumps down to the most basic movement patterns.

a tutorial should actually help you master a jump by making the technique to do it accessable.

building the usual map and shoving the player close to the edge, telling him to just do the jump would fail to meet that requirement.

if i was to choose, i'd have an (sub)urban themed map for this tutorial, something like elgin, uptown or thingley.

I need to go read your thread, but essentially I completely agree. Maybe if I have a little time, I can try and work on building a tutorial map, and ask for it to be implemented into the base game. I have a bit of a vision on how to do it but I need the time to work on it.

Another thing is understanding how much FS will allow me to mess with the blueprints for the map to allow for some things that would be in a tutorial like a quick cut scene or a graphic that pops up or forcing a player to reach an objective or they cant move on etc.

Anyway, maybe I'll try creating a basic write up on exactly what a player needs to do, plus a quick map sketch and see what people think.

#19 User is offline   Cuchi Icon

• Account: cuchi

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:35 AM

I think a fast tutorial for new players and no obligatory is not a bad idea :rolleyes:
Only a user of this english forum with a bad english

#20 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

I'd say having a map like ut4_HappyJumptutorial is good enough as a tutorial, but if you wanted to make a more realistic urban looking map, then I have to insist that you make it work like HappyJumpTutorial. Using the same red lines to guide the player onto the correct path about which moves to make, and you could even play that one green screen map and cut out pictures of the player in various positions and make them into sprites that you insert into the map just like the red lines from HappyJumpTutorial. You could even make the sprites move along a path if you wanted them too, kind of turning it into a sort of Pseudo-ghost racer thing like they have in racing games.

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942