• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rolling

#1 User is offline   SilverFoxZ Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: silverfoxz

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:17 AM

So while reading this suggetion, i thought about the possibility to add rolling to UrT.

How about adding a roll for when you are midair and about to land, in order to negate falling damage and also prevent leg bleeding?

I imagine it that way, that you like a mil second before you hit the ground you hit the roll button and roll off the ground when hitting said ground.

The positive effects would be:

- The distance on which you get falldamage would become higher.
- Your legs dont start to bleed and you can continue without slowing down.
- You are a smaller target for a short time.

The negative effects:

- The action consumes some stamina.
- You can not use any weapon while doing this.
- You still take falldamage, if you fall far enough.

Requirements to do this action in order to not make it look too silly and balance:

- You have to be midair/fall for a certain time/distance before being able to make use of this. So for example you cant just stand still and jump forward a meter and just do a roll, since its purpose is to be able to jump great distances somewhat savely and not just do it when there is no purpose for doing it.
- You have to have the required amount of stamina.

I know this would probaly be very hard to code/animate, but a man can dream :>

Discuss!

This post has been edited by SilverFoxZ: 04 January 2016 - 01:18 AM

I raise komodo dragons in my spare time

#2 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:06 AM

Perhaps this is something for a "mod" something that is more easily done for unreal 4 and with much more options.

For the standard game perhaps not the 3 jump system would be affected and the game pace can also be affected.

Would love to see the porting from q3 to ue4 will be done so that we have similar gameplay and that FS will leave the door open for mods in wich things like this can be done.

Greetsz,

#4 User is offline   Vladocs Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: vladocs

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

Maybe something like Zenity said.Having to press duck at the right time so you take less damage.Or you take damage but don't need to heal yourself.I think i saw this in "freerunning" for PC

#5 User is offline   SilverFoxZ Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: silverfoxz

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

Was thinking along the lines of Mirrors Edge, its quiet well done there i think.
I raise komodo dragons in my spare time

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostSilverFoxZ, on 04 January 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

Was thinking along the lines of Mirrors Edge, its quiet well done there i think.

I agree with you, I believe it might fit into UrT.

I mean sure the player becomes a smaller target for some second but you will learn to see when the players are gonna do a Roll and will use it as your advantage, since that person can't defend him/herself.
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#7 User is offline   Fredrik Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: fredrik

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:19 PM

I think there is a technique you can do in UrT that prevents lemming.
To me it happens quite randomly, usually it happens when I land against a wall. but IIRC someone told me they could do it consistently.

#8 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

there also used to be a chance that jumping in the moment of impact you would not take any damage. never really tried it out, (too risk imo).

I guess both suggested systems have their advantages, and im really unsure which one i like more. mirrors edge has done the rolling thing really well, without it slowing down your movements. in fact its way faster that way.
so i think would prefer rolling, if it doesnt end up to work like an ultimate dodge ability.

One probably could come up with a combination of both, maybe based on the height/vertical velocity and the forward velocity:
If you fall too far down, or your movementspeed is too slow, you will do a three point landing, otherwise it will do a roll.
This would end up in a situation similar to what we have right now: if you want to drop done here, you have to consider if you break your legs in doing so. Only difference would be the greater heights. BUT: such a new system should only take action if you actually press a button in the correct moment (i still want to be able to drop down somewhere, possibly break my legs, but be able to supprise an enemy)
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#10 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

View PostZenity, on 04 January 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

Hm, I guess the designers of Mirror's Edge didn't agree about rolling the view being terribly confusing. ;) They do it fast and quick which works well. However, Mirror's Edge is designed from the start to shake your head a lot and control your view movement based on the character animation. We have nothing like this in Urban Terror so far, so it would stand out much more, would require more work, and could also be more disconcerting because of it.

Another thing is that I don't want to add a dedicated key just for rolling, and if we do it with crouch then it's going to clash to some extend with powersliding which IMO is the far more important feature.

Maybe you are right, but it should still be considered a feature to be tested in my opinion.
And the key to do a roll could be Shift (like in mirrors edge) or Space (shift would make sense though, because after the roll the player would then keep running)

Also i think that the only way to do a successful roll should be to be aiming straight on the ground (like you cant aim backwards or far at the side and still do the roll)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942