Urban Terror Forums: Urban Terror Gear Selection Menu Concept - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror Gear Selection Menu Concept

#12 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:51 AM

I really like this Loch :)

#13 User is offline   Yuri Icon

• Account: yuri

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:58 AM

Just spitballing here: make the menu a list (maybe even with sorting or categories)? Drop-down boxes? idk...
My Music Channel --> youtube.com/hordetek

#14 User is offline   bluewormx Icon

• Account: bluewormx

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

Awsome work lock! :D

Not counter-intuitive, but less intuitive than we can make a traditional layout. A circular layout quickly gets unwieldy unless you split it into multiple categories, and then it's less intuitive because it requires more digging before you have a good overview of what's available. Even if you can fit everything into one circle, it is much harder to show meaningful information within each slice of the pie, which is why CS:GO shows weapon information separately on the side when you hover an item.

I think Zenity does have a point, both about digging thru sub categories and about showing information in each slice. You really are limited to six slices max before it simply looks messy.

The present system represents slots: primary; secondary etc...
It has its things Negev takes up secondary, side arm is mandatory...

4.3 gets a little more messy with 3 new possible primaries to chose from, 14 weapons in total!
Perhaps secondaries like sub machine guns and shotguns should be relegated to secondary weapons only.

What about a gear selection menu showing "six pack" 3 horizontal circles, 2 vertical.
primaries opens two circles: assault rifles on one side + negev; sniper rifles + HK69 on the other.
the other circles: Secondaries; Side arm; Grenades; Items 1; Items 2.

If you really want to keep the secondaries available as primaries add them as a third disk, now days we all have enough screen real estate to
visualize this comfotably.

Its essentially what we have now but with the awsome disks that lock drew.
A decision needs to be taken first with 4.3 because it is a little messy with the long list of primary weapons.

This post has been edited by bluewormx: 07 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   dynomite33 Icon

• Account: dynomite33
  • Main tag: [SQD]

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:27 PM

Can anyone explain to me why the gear menu is being redesigned in the first place?!?!?

Has anyone heard of "If it ain't broke, dont fix it." !?!
IGN : Ernst

Wo ist Schmidt?

#17 User is offline   Lochverstaerker Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:06 PM

View Postdynomite33, on 07 February 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

Can anyone explain to me why the gear menu is being redesigned in the first place?!?!?

Has anyone heard of "If it ain't broke, dont fix it." !?!

The gear menu will have to be reimplemented for UrTHD anyway, so why not think about a redesign that makes it more accessible for new players and generally better to use?
I was just trying to maybe provide some ideas on how to design a "better" selection menu from scratch.

The 4.3RC3 gear selection menu is shit currently, that's obvious. It could already be vastly improved by fixing this bug (not even sure if that's a bug or just an oversight) mentioned by Iye here.

EDIT:

View Postbluewormx, on 07 February 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

4.3 gets a little more messy with 3 new possible primaries to chose from, 14 weapons in total!
Perhaps secondaries like sub machine guns and shotguns should be relegated to secondary weapons only.

This should be thought about (at least for 4.3) as I can think of no reason why someone would choose an SMG instead of an automatic gun as a primary weapon. (Also in 4.3 you have the ability to select no primary weapon so you could select a shotgun(/SMG) as secondary and no primary which is virtually the same result as selecting a shotgun(/SMG) as primary and no secondary.)

This post has been edited by Lochverstaerker: 07 February 2016 - 11:19 PM

#18 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:11 AM

well, the bug is new to RC3, so... :)
and im actually currently working on a script that might be able to create a 4.1'ish styled menu easily. cuz. i dunno. 2 much spare time. (actually not. :S)

This post has been edited by Iye: 08 February 2016 - 12:21 AM

Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#19 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:37 PM

One suggestion I would have is to allow people to create/modify 3 or 4 different "favorite layouts" for gear. This way they can quickly change their gear. Currently players use binds to change the gear, but a lot of players in general are not aware that this is possible. So introducing a "favorite layout" (better name needed) would be far more user friendly.

So one can be:
Kevlar, Helmet, LR300, laser, DE.

Another could be:
Kevlar, SPAS, HE Nades, Beretta, Sr8.

This way I can just click on one of my favorites, as opposed to changing my gear at the micro level every time.

This post has been edited by Solitary: 21 March 2016 - 08:38 PM

#20 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

while i like that idea, and after thinking about it for like half a minute i could imagine that it could be done. it would for sure require more or less coding with the current ui "engine" though, which i doubt is going to happen.

There is this web tool here however, which creates you a script that allows you to switch gear.
Note: I think that it only contains 4.1 weaponry, but hey..... :)
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942