• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

spawning too close to flags Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_aloha

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:43 PM

:idea:
I have noticed that the game play of larger servers 24-32+ ppl servers that the spawning is to close to the location of the flag.

1. I tried increasing the spawning time.

This was with a cp of 5.

I have noticed when I am running near full 32 person server that it is near impossible to hit the cp limit with a 30 second delay. I have cranked it up as high as 45 seconds still with no cp limit. Ppl really complained about the wait at 45 seconds, I think 30 seconds seems to be about the most ppl liked to wait. Even at 45 seconds the cp was not hit.

2. Changing the location of spawning.

Spawning in multi locations through out the map, or in a spawn location that is a long way away from the flag. This might help with the problem.

I think that larger servers are going to become more popular with increased numbers of cable/t1/2/3 connections around. People seem to like the increased amount of people playing, but they don't like not being able to complete the objective.

It's pretty darn fun when its like 16v16.

#2 User is offline   blackrayne (old) Icon

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:51 PM

maps for urt arent made for that size bud.24-32 is overloaded and becomes a cluster fuk

#3 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:11 PM

You can try playing ut_canyon, its big enough for 32 players and the spawns are a fair distance from the flag.

(Shameless map pimping I know ;) )

#4 User is offline   blackrayne (old) Icon

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:39 PM

and the map kicks ass and is one of my favorite ones :D

#5 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:18 PM

:D

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 Guest_aloha

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:45 PM

maps for urt arent made for that size bud.24-32 is overloaded and becomes a cluster fuk

:?
This is level design forum, and was posting for someone who would want to map design for 24-32. It's only the map design and spawning that makes it cluster fukd.

I love playing in large servers and generally don't even like playing unless its 16 plus ppl.

You can try playing ut_canyon, its big enough for 32 players and the spawns are a fair distance from the flag.

Haven't played that one with lots of ppl, I will give it a try today. Thz :D

#7 Guest_=BAND=Squad Leader

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:48 PM

Ooh tell me the server you're playing it on, I'll be there!

#8 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:56 PM

i really hate maps, where spawn equals flag spot. this is just plain silly imo.

#9 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:39 AM

:?
This is level design forum, and was posting for someone who would want to map design for 24-32. It's only the map design and spawning that makes it cluster fukd.

I love playing in large servers and generally don't even like playing unless its 16 plus ppl.

Haven't played that one with lots of ppl, I will give it a try today. Thz :D

I made a map exactly like that, it was the first version of ut_suburb.

Which led to these two scenarios.

(a) Nobody played it because the spawns were so far away from the flags, about 12-15 seconds away from the flags, with the flags pretty far apart. Too bad the idea made perfect sense on paper.

Sooo.

(b) I changed this for ut_suburb2, i put the spawns roughtly 6-8 seconds away from the flags. And moved the flags closer together by about 5 seconds. And what do ya know? It ended up on the TWL CTF League map list.

Placing the spawns far away from the flag like that hasn't been demonstrated to me to work, sorry =)

Also, 16 player max CTF maps (in size) are the norm, go try to play a map like intermodal which CAN support 30 players. sure, it's fun for the first 20 mins, but I've played games on that where there wasn't a single cap after 2 hours, because the level was sooo damn big.

If you want to build a level like that, then I wish you luck with it =) I just don't think the majority of Urban Terror players will play on it if it's too hard to cap, and thats exactly how scenario (a) panned out.

#10 User is offline   DoctorDominology (old) Icon

• LocationDouble Six

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:53 PM

[quote name='"ShminkyBoy"]Also' date=' 16 player max CTF maps (in size) are the norm, go try to play a map like intermodal which CAN support 30 players. sure, it's fun for the first 20 mins, but I've played games on that where there wasn't a single cap after 2 hours, because the level was sooo damn big.[/quote']

I remember literally HOURS of fun on the FSK405 server on Intermodal playing CTF. Most of the people stayed on for like 4-5 hours but noone complained. A very small number of people logged on, played for 20 or so minutes then tried to get a map change, when it failed they left but the vast majority stayed on and had fun the whole time. We even made a TALL tower that day with the two flag carriers standing on top....at least till the guy at the very bottom got bored and exploded himself with a grenade....BOOM!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942