• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror 4.3.1 HOTFIX RELEASE Rate Topic: -----

#51 User is offline   Magister Icon

• Account: magister

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

Nothing has changed in my environment and now with 4.3.1 I notice a new problem which is that the players look jittery when they are moving.

Nothing else looks jittery like the walls or the rest of the map, and my FPS is a solid 125-126 with a really clean netgraph when this is happening.

Also this happens for all player models even for players with a low ping.

I haven't tried any other servers besides |FA| Fallin-Angels.

Does anyone else experience this un-smooth sort of chunky or jittery effect for the player models when they are moving around?

#52 User is offline   Pilou42 Icon

• Account: pilou42

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

That's a new side effect of some changes in 4.3.

That's because you play on a server with CVAR snaps at 60 and you use the same CVAR at 60.
In order to fix your problem, you should define snaps value at 20 (like in 4.2) until Frozensand find a fix (enter /seta snaps 20 in console for example).

#53 User is offline   Magister Icon

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:18 PM

Thanks Pilou42.

Can we maybe get FS to comment?

I don't make any changes to snaps CVAR in my autoexec.cfg in either 4.2 or 4.3. So is it true that the client snaps default value is 20 in 4.2 but got changed to 60 for the 4.3 client? If so, why was this change made?

I have looked into this more and some have suggested playing with client snaps and setting it to like 30-35 for optimum. Is snaps something we are supposed to play with on the client? What exactly is snaps anyway?

Is FS looking at this and going to fix it?

What do server operators need to know for the server snaps (I guess server snaps is different than client snaps)?

#54 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:28 PM

snaps and sv_snaps determine how often your game updates what is happening. basically its how many "snapshots" of the game are sent and received per second.
sv_snaps obviously caps (client) snaps therefor. Increasing this number obviously should lead into better hit detection and more fluent gameplay. (somewhat similar to com_maxfps 125 increasing how fluent your game runs)

the client default in 4.2 was 20 because the sv_snaps was locked to 20, and thus any higher value wouldnt have made any sense on the client (it would have been forced into snaps 20 anyways).

Now changing this appearently has some side effects such as micro warping and lags, in a similar fashion as you would get them when lowering other net settings (note that it actually was increased).

So yeah, currently doing /snaps 20 solves most of those issues (even though some servers seem to struggle, but i cant say if its just the server itself or an issue with the game).

Obviously this is being looked into, but those are settings that no1 touched in like a decade, so...
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#55 User is offline   Magister Icon

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

For what it's worth, I played for some time yesterday after setting my client snaps to 35 (only on the |FA| Fallin-Angels server) and the stuttering problem went away completely! This was the problem I was having (and other people I think too) in which the players moving around on the map looked jittery. I hope FS can get this resolved for the next release 4.3.2. This might not be related but I found some people talking about cl_maxpackets CVAR and they suggested to set it to 125. I didn't have this in my autoexec.cfg and so I was just using the default value. I went ahead and changed it to 125. The game is working just fine now for me, no FPS issues, no net lag problems, no player stuttering. It really feels just like 4.2 did (except for the new stuff that was changed obviously).

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#56 User is offline   Pilou42 Icon

• Account: pilou42

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:41 PM

The cl_maxpackets (like maxfps) at 125 is useful only if your monitor is (at least) 120Hz.

For the record, people who put snaps at 20 experiment a higher ping (than snaps at 60 in 4.3 OR snaps at 20 in 4.2).

#57 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

View PostPilou42, on 13 October 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

The cl_maxpackets (like maxfps) at 125 is useful only if your monitor is (at least) 120Hz.

For the record, people who put snaps at 20 experiment a higher ping (than snaps at 60 in 4.3 OR snaps at 20 in 4.2).

agreed, experienced it first hand:).

can some fs member comment on what travmon said

View Posttravmon, on 11 October 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

so snaps and sv_fps are now 60... but yet i set server minrate of 16000 and see players with 8000 when they should be 25000-32000 and cl_maxpackets default to 30 when they should at least 85 if not 125. and default fps is what 85 when if i dont set to 125 everything is warping, all this extra data getting push to where? to letting other players warp all over? this is 2016 not 1998. I assume not many play only dialup today? Barbie what gives? Clarify please :)

is he right, are you looking into it? some response please.
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#58 User is offline   Magister Icon

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostPilou42, on 13 October 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

I have a 144Hz BenQ monitor and that's my refresh rate setting.

Also, I did notice that when I changed from the default snaps to a value of 35 my ping went up by about 15 or 20 points. But really in playing on the server I didn't notice any effect from this slightly higher ping number.

For me, the effect of no longer having the player models stuttering was the only result that I could notice after making the snaps change to a value of 35.

#60 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostBarbatos, on 13 October 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

Yes we're looking into it. There are several issues that need to be addressed and testing / investigating takes a lot of time. Also I'm away from home for two weeks so not in the best situation to debug. :)

Thank you all for your patience, I'll get back to you as soon as we make some progress on resolving the issues.

Thanks.
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942