Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how do i make a tree? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ZELLIS Icon

• Account: zellis
  • Main tag: FSK405|

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:12 AM

ok, im trying to make trees and bushes. when i make the brush in radiant to apply the texture and complie once im in the game , i see the tree but i cant walk under the tree or get next to its trunk. is there a special brush i need to use or make to have this work correctly?

thanks

#2 User is offline   tub (old) Icon

• Locationut_abbey

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:14 AM

Make sure only one side of the brush is textured with the tree/bush and all other sides are using common/nodraw.

Additionally make sure the tree/bush shader has the line: "surfaceparm nonsolid".

#3 User is offline   ZELLIS Icon

• Account: zellis
  • Main tag: FSK405|

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:48 AM

thanks for the info, when i do that it works, but my tree is flat. do i need to apply a shader to make it 3d? should my brush be something other then a square with the tree on one side and nodraw on the others?

thanks again.

#4 User is offline   tr!ckn0l0gy (old) Icon

• Locationreal virtuality

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:59 AM

don't forget to water it from time to time.

#5 User is offline   F for Fragging (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:17 AM

If you want 3D trees you will need to use a model, an md3 model. Looks a lot better than the flat trees, but a little bit more demanding on resources.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   tub (old) Icon

• Locationut_abbey

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:34 AM

F for Fragging is right on the money, you need to use a tree model if you want true 3D. There are quite a few used by sid so you might want to extract the models from q3ut3 pk3s and have a look through those. I've used the GRTrees a bit.

You can still make semi 3d trees from brushes and textures. The way to do it to have two or more brushes crossing at the trunk. Sort of like a big X. I'd suggest 3 brushes. This does look pretty ugly though and I'd only suggest it if you are using it at a place a player cant reach and you want a lot of foliage. Maps for games like MOD and COD use this approach, which have tree models in the player areas and brush trees around the outside of a map.

#7 User is offline   F for Fragging (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:17 AM

Glad to hear something from you Tub, I thought you were absent. Tub, could you please check your PM? I PM'ed you at 10 April, but you have not responded.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942