Urban Terror Forums: normal mapping - not quite urt material - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

normal mapping - not quite urt material Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: wilyduck

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:08 PM

Ok yeah this is more for doom3 mapping, but hey, I figured someone probably wants to know this stuff around here.

Reading my "game developer"'s magazine, came across a nice little way to make normal maps. What's a normal map? From wikipedia: "Like bump mapping, it is used to add details to shading without using more polygons." In other words, it makes 2d objects look 3d, like veins on skin or bolts on a surface. A more advanced bumpmapping.

Anyway, from GDM, says:
Make a low poly shape of any kind in whatever 3d package. Export to .obj or .dxf. Import into Z2 (which I think is this application). Create subdivisions with the divide button. Object becomes rounded, high-poly. Return to the lowest detail level. Click create normal map. Done.

Since I don't know how to model, I can't test this. :( Either way it looks cool and for those that wanted a clue into how normal maps were built rather than being magic shader layers, there you go. I'm feeling more clueful. btw check that app site anyway, it's got a really cool animated graphic of making a lizard-guy from scratch, in almost no time using zbrushes.

-wily duck

#2 User is offline   MidgetKiller (old) Icon

• LocationBC, Canada

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:26 PM

Cool stuff duck. Thanks for the info!

8)

#3 User is offline   tub (old) Icon

• Locationut_abbey

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:17 AM

You can create pseudo normal maps for quake3 by using the: q3map_normalImage texturename shader keyword.

#4 User is offline   rashly (old) Icon

• Locationlong island

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:49 PM

D3 uses 4 files for each texture. The texture itself, the normal map, the specular map, and the bump map.

Definitely good effects, but the time to make the art has increased dramatically.

The first decent compression for normal maps is also 3dc, which only ati r420+ supports right now (may not be true when the g70 comes out). It is lossy, but it is good for mid range cards.

I still say that we need better normal map compression than 3dc.

#5 User is offline   codey (old) Icon

• Locationrepublic.stockholm.se

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

You can create pseudo normal maps for quake3 by using the: q3map_normalImage texturename shader keyword.

Here's a little tutorial on how to use it

http://www.planetwol...etoeni/bump.htm

cheers

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   blackrayne (old) Icon

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:39 PM

damn good tut there bud ive used that one before:)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942