Urban Terror Forums: Samalander + Bongo's SR8 Idea for 27 and future UrT Versions - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Samalander + Bongo's SR8 Idea for 27 and future UrT Versions

#1 User is offline   samalander (old) Icon

• LocationNew York

Posted 25 April 2004 - 11:33 AM

1) Drasticaly Reduce/Remove (more likely remove) Movement Penalty

2) Lower clip size to 1 (one) bullet

3) Make reload manual instead of automatic

4) Reload takes ~6 seconds

4) Reloads like negev -- cannot switch from sr8 or drop sr8 during reload

important points
------------------
-- .r|michael, after not killing very well for a few rounds with an automatic, saying in complete innocence & honesty 'I can't aim, that's why I use an sr8.'

5:10:37:bongo: it's [the sr8 is] for people who can't compete in an equal situation, so they hide and drop one kill shot every 3 seconds with a scope

5:24:02:bongo: which is what makes it so annoying
5:24:10:bongo: because if you're a good player with an auto
5:24:17:bongo: and some noob can pick you off with an sr8
5:24:20:bongo: you have to take an sr8 to shut him down

5:25:30:bongo: [the sr8 is too much like a crutch]

5:26:23:Samalander: people need to wake up to the fact that playing peek-a-boo with a 1 hit kill weapon is extraodinarly lame

5:27:26:Samalander: best example
5:27:29:Samalander: when we were playing on algiers
5:27:31:Samalander: and I was alone
5:27:38:Samalander: the rounds I won most easily
5:27:40:Samalander: I had the sr8
5:27:52:Samalander: all I need to do is make sure I have 3 seconds between when I see you guys
5:27:55:Samalander: or a box to hide behind

#2 User is offline   Blade (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands.

Posted 25 April 2004 - 11:44 AM

Or you don't play like a coward with peek-a-boo tactics... I think what you want is too drastic, nobody will use it anymore, since it will be worthless in ANY situation, seeing urt is a fast game, u can't have a 6 second reload time before you shoot 1 bullet, most snipe spots can be flanked from several sides, so u always have to be on the look out, and ready to shoot at a different spot...

Btw, if u have troubles aiming, u take sr8? lol, I try the AK cuz it gives easy kills without very good aiming lol.

#3 User is offline   samalander (old) Icon

• LocationNew York

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:03 PM

Or you don't play like a coward with peek-a-boo tactics... I think what you want is too drastic, nobody will use it anymore, since it will be worthless in ANY situation, seeing urt is a fast game, u can't have a 6 second reload time before you shoot 1 bullet, most snipe spots can be flanked from several sides, so u always have to be on the look out, and ready to shoot at a different spot...

Btw, if u have troubles aiming, u take sr8? lol, I try the AK cuz it gives easy kills without very good aiming lol.

You seem to miss that there will be new advantages which SKILLED SNIPERS can make use of:

First of all, you are NOT FORCED to reload immediately. You can reload whenever you want. This gives you time to use secondary, pistol and grenades after a shot. If you are worried about a flank, DO NOT RELOAD, simply use one of your alternatives.

Second, with removed/reduced movement penalty, people who can make good shots will be able to make even better shots. Unfortunately, as you picked up on, people will NOT BE ABLE TO EFFECTIVELY SPAM THE SR8. This is a bad thing HOW?!

Your response in regard to peek-a-boo tactics is simply ignorant; if you had played on any northamerican server in the past year you would know that this sort of tactic is predominant on most servers. Because the peek-a-boo tactic does work, and because it has always worked, it is constantly used. Think it's better in matches? This is not the case. If a clan has no problem NOT LEAVING THEIR SPAWN, they have NO PROBLEM using peek-a-boo tactics. As long as the tactic works well, it will be used frequently, despite all the pure of heart do-gooders such as yourself.

I find your statement about the AK the most amusing. You seem to be suffering from a delusion that the AK is the most easy gun to use. Based on usage alone, the majority of players in northamercan leagues disagree with you.

#4 Guest_Anonymous

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:17 PM

Man your insane the psg is way better already if you are having trouble with snipers and you have played the game this long i feel sad for you but here is what i think

Remove all sr8 penaltys jumping etc
or making sv changable settings such as
g_sr8strafepenalty
g_sr8jumppenalty

3 round clips instead of 5 increase the number of clips by 2

increase the time on the main reload
so after the 3 shots make it realistic when reloading
maybe make it twice or three times longer

add another .1 - .3 second delay on the first zoom

#5 User is offline   No|Leaf|Clover (old) Icon

• LocationNew York, USA

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

I like the thought that went into this, Sama, but at this late stage in the game's development cycle, I think your solution is rather drastic.

I think a simple solution for the peek-a-boo sniping is simply to re-introduce a high movement penalty for the SR8. If you remember in 2.5, the SR8 was not used in the situations it is now. You essentially had to come out from behind that box, STOP, take your shot, and move back behind the box. Skilled snipers could do this effectively, but minimally skilled 2.6a-3.x style snipers like me could not. The SR8 was also highly effective on sniper maps such as riyadh and paradise. Right now everything is a sniper map.

If people like the run-and-gun sniping, use the PSG. If they feel they really have skills in this area, they can go ahead and hit their target twice to prove it.

I agree that something needs to be done. The SR8 is used in far too many close range, fast-moving situations where I feel it should not be. This game is still instagib to a great degree, though not nearly as bad as it was in 2.6a.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942