Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Adding Weapons (eeek!) Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_swifty

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:09 PM

Now, I know this is a dead horse to some. But nothing can spark excitement for a release as much as new weapons can, nothing puts the fun in a shooter more than something new to shoot. The now defunct P90 and Remington M870 still haven't vanished completely from the hearts and minds of us UrT asshats. And the M4 proved that you can have two almost identical weapons in UrT without it detracting from the game. In fact, there's no real drawback to having both the lr and m4.. they both have their strengths and weaknesses. choice is good.

So here's how to add some weapons to UrT without effecting game balance. I'm speaking from the standpoint of what it was like working on a mod for a different game that had dozens of weapons that all needed to be sufficiently distinct from one another to be included.

Remington M870:
This one's the easy one: make it fire slugs! this secondary weapon would be damn near as lethal as a psg (2 shot killer, but say 55% damage on a kevlar vest instead of the psg's ~63%) but only carry a maximum of 4 shells and reload like the spas. the rate of fire would be a tad slower than the psg as well, with an sr8-bolt-action-like pump action animation. one that can't be interrupted by cycling weapons, and one that takes a bit of time to do. say, a tick slower than the psg shoots.

give it the same initial ammo loadout as the spas (only 4 in the tube, though) and you're good to go. You have a weapon that is powerful as hell, about as accurate as, say, a desert eagle, but fires as slow as a sniper rifle with less ammo. the low rof and ammo capacity will be dealkillers for many, but it would be a great finishing weapon. if you and an opponent are both facing each other, bleeding, with one half health left, and you both pull your secondary, it's still a tossup. if you bork your first shot on him with your 870 (say by hitting a limb), he will waste you with his mp5. if you get that first shot in his head or torso, that's all she wrote. This weapon should also behead like the DE, but suffer from the same long distance headshot penalties that the pistols do.

P90: This one's trickier. It has to be nerfed more creatively than the other autos, given the fact that in real life it fires armor piercing bullets very quickly from a high capacity 50 round magazine. so, the first thing is to give the player only one spare mag when he spawns, like the one spare belt on the negev. let him pick up a total of three (so one in the gun plus x2), and then he'll be carrying 150 bullets. this is exactly as many bullets as all the other 30 rd autos allow you to tote.

now, a short ballistics lesson. in real life the p90 fires 5.7x28mm ammo, which is designed to shoot a very high velocity, low mass projectile. the reason the p90 can carry so much ammo is not just the way the mag runs the length of the gun, but also that the rounds it shoots really are small in comparison to, say, a 9mm. now I'm all for terminal ballistic realism in first person shooters, but UrT crossed that line loooong ago. The G36 should actually have more stopping power than any of the other .223 rifles or carbines. The Negev should have more stopping power than the g36. the ump should definitely not have as much stopping power as any of the .223's. but they do. so the stopping power of the p90 in real life shouldn't necessarily reflect upon its UrT counterpart.

the p90 should be the least powerful gun in the game, even less so than the mp5k. it should have the same rate of fire, but a slightly smaller spread as a trade-off for lower first-shot and long-range accuracy. if it's not uber enough after testing it in-game, then don't raise the damage to that of the mp5; make it armor piercing instead. so bullets start the victim bleeding in his chest or head area even if he's wearing kevlar or a helmet.

if it's too uber already, then give it a small movement penalty. it's a bullpup in real life, making it harder to point around corners and swing from side to side than, say, a pdw like the mp5k. otherwise, give it a small bonus or penalty by granting it a silencer and/or laser, depending on whether it's too uber or not uber enough. so, this underpowered submachine gun holds its own against the more powerful mp5 because it carries more bullets per mag. it's less accurate, but has less recoil. if it still needs tweaking one way or another movement penalties, armor piercing qualities, and the ability to use lasers or silencers can be thrown into the mix.

And finally, a new pistol. A Glock 27 would be perfect. Here's why:
It's a compact that fires an intermediate round. Because it's compact, it can only carry 9 rounds per mag. the caliber it fires is .40 S&W, somewhere between the 9mm and .45 for stopping power and recoil. The short barrel doesn't lend itself to accuracy.

So, make it more powerful than the para (say, 4 shots to the vest kills), but with half of the desert eagle's spray and pray recoil. recoil should be a penalty because the gun weighs very little and the round it fires has more oomph than a 9 mouse mouse. long range accuracy would be considerably worse than the para, because of its short barrel. it's too small for a laser sight: suppressor only.

so you have a highly distinctive sidearm. one that can't take people down like the desert eagle but can still beat the para in a quickdraw bullet spam showdown. it's even less accurate than the DE long range, and can't improve with a laser. it can however carry a silencer.

I don't mean to start a big discussion about this really, only to show these ideas to SID for them to consider. I found that in the mod I worked on, picking a weapon became like picking a fine wine. you always wanted something appropriate for the situation, and changing it up is always fun. the same guns day in and day out eventually lose their glamour. adding new ones can get people excited like nothing else.

#2 Guest_Squire||NutZ

Posted 25 April 2004 - 04:07 PM

i like your idea for new weapons, but it probably wont happen any time soon.. Heres why:

-UTET is comming- that is a 1:1 port so it wont be in that version (maybe a later version)
-You would probably need to remove weapons to add weapons (i dont know, but thats a though)

-squirell

#3 User is offline   Goat (old) Icon

• LocationIndiana

Posted 25 April 2004 - 04:16 PM

A well thought out piece A+++

#4 Guest_Da3dalus

Posted 25 April 2004 - 04:21 PM

A new shotgun could be good, but the P90 and Glock isn't something I really want.

#5 User is offline   blackrayne (old) Icon

Posted 25 April 2004 - 04:28 PM

no:)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Goat (old) Icon

• LocationIndiana

Posted 25 April 2004 - 04:32 PM

LT1 has caught Oswalditis.. :)

#7 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:50 PM

As great as what you wrote is, the answer has been "no" for some time now. And it is doubtful that this will change. Next!

#8 User is offline   Dark Devil (old) Icon

• LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 April 2004 - 05:10 PM

Swifty has a well thought out plan.

If i had to choose which weapon, it would be the Glock. Here's why.
Something i've been experimenting with my weapon setup lately.

I've been using...
-Sr8
-DE
-Kev
-Med
-Nades

Notice i have no secondary. Which basically forces me to use the DE. I'm thinking CS! lol. No but seriesously, i played CS on bros comp and it was OK. But i noticed you basically hold a Rifle and a Pistol (Holding around 14 bullets). So i deciding to try it on UrT and it worked well. Problem was, since the DE only holds 7. Say i get the enemy in the Kev twice and he ain't dead. Well basically i'm screwed. I'm outta bullets, and i'd gotta get a lucky shot with the Sr8 to nail em. So my point is, the extra two bullets in the Glock could help out my weapon combo.

Also, I'd like to say some thing, but it's much to dirty. (Not about Swiftys post)

#9 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:11 PM

Plan or no plan, we are not adding any more weapons to our mod. End of discussion.

#10 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:16 PM

Thread closed. Thank you, drive thru...

-Forum Nazi

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942