Urban Terror Forums: No|Leaf|Clover's Less Drastic Idea for the SR8 - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (16 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

No|Leaf|Clover's Less Drastic Idea for the SR8

#1 User is offline   samalander (old) Icon

• LocationNew York

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:46 PM

"I think a simple solution for the peek-a-boo sniping is simply to re-introduce a high movement penalty for the SR8. If you remember in 2.5, the SR8 was not used in the situations it is now. You essentially had to come out from behind that box, STOP, take your shot, and move back behind the box. Skilled snipers could do this effectively, but minimally skilled 2.6a-3.x style snipers like me could not. The SR8 was also highly effective on sniper maps such as riyadh and paradise. Right now everything is a sniper map."

You say a dead topic, but I don't see how anything that has over 4 topics that have thousands of views between them is 'dead.' By locking the topics and preventing further intelligent discussion on the issue, the players are being done a disservice.

After thinking about the idea bongo and I proposed, I realize it has some flaws regarding CTF. That said, bongo and I discussed for a little how sniping in 2.5 took a lot more skill, and I think No|Leaf|Clover is onto something here that would be NEITHER drastic NOR difficult to introduce.

Unfortunately, unless SID takes further steps to experiment (I know it takes a lot of effort, I know that sometimes the community can wear thin, but that doesn't justify mindless development in a single direction) it looks as if we will be stuck with the same SR8 in enemy territory.

Then again, as I left the QA team a while ago, I don't know what changes are in store, and perhaps the reason the subject is dead, as Lt1 put it, is that a solution has already been found.

#2 User is offline   No|Leaf|Clover (old) Icon

• LocationNew York, USA

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:59 PM

This is certainly far from a dead topic.

Do you remember the days when out of a team of six in either ts or ctf, you would have one or two snipers? Remember when sniping on casa involved hanging back and watching the backs of your teammates using M4s? Rushers use the SR8 a lot more since 2.6a, and though 3.x has seen a slight decline in mindless assault sniping / instagib, there's still room for improvement. There is no reason for a team of six to have four or five snipers on a map like casa.

I feel the simplest solution to this problem is the best. Put a movement penalty on the SR8 so that one has to stop (even if relatively momentarily) to take a shot. This is how it once was. There was far less peek-a-boo sniping, for unless one was very good at doing so, he put himself at a risk of being gunned down. There were some who were good at it, and they were considered skilled snipers.

#3 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:27 PM

I'd have to agree with you both. These are nice points being brought up.

#4 Guest_Mikesmaf

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:47 PM

sounds good to me.

#5 Guest_Mikesmaf

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:52 PM

the reload of a negev on the sr8...would work..and would scare newbs who use sr8 away also.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   No|Leaf|Clover (old) Icon

• LocationNew York, USA

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:29 PM

I don't think changing reload times is a very easy thing to do. It might require changing the actual animation, and that's not entirely easy. I don't think it's necessary in this case either. More movement penalty is all we need.

#7 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

• LocationKilladelphia, PA

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:56 PM

I think NLC is right... changing the animation would probably be more effort than what it is worth. A serious movement penalty would would certainly make the weapon a more realistic fit and make it so the "real snipers" use, not just everyone :)

#8 User is offline   Kennypumpa (old) Icon

• LocationNorrkoping, Sweden

Posted 25 April 2004 - 11:01 PM

hmm, I like everything as it is =)

(ok, not the skybox on Sanctuary)

#9 Guest_Acetone

Posted 26 April 2004 - 12:24 AM

[quote name='"No|Leaf|Clover"]I don't think changing reload times is a very easy thing to do. It might require changing the actual animation' date=' and that's not entirely easy. I don't think it's necessary in this case either. More movement penalty is all we need.[/quote']

I couldn't agree more. You know that something is wrong when 4/6 players are rushing with sniper rifles. The words "rushing" and "sniping" do not belong in the same sentence.

#10 User is offline   autoaim.cfg (old) Icon

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:05 AM

/me changes his nick to L3375n1p3rRu5h3r

8)

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942